Chapter One: Arrival

"Please don't leave us, Mary", a young girl says, teary-eyed as she runs in for a hug. "She must leave for us, for her people, and for Scotland. It's the only way to procure a strong alliance with France," recites a stern nun as she pulls the little girl off Mary. "She is the Queen of Scotland, and if God wills it, Queen of France". Mary walks up to the little girl and fixes her hair, "This has been my destiny since I was a babe. I'll be fine, Anne". Mary wipes a tear from Anne's face as Anne holds Mary's hand tightly. "I've heard there are ghosts at French Court. They say the halls are filled with them. Tortured souls, dark magic-". Mary interrupts Anne, "I'm not falling for another one of your tricks Anne. You know I must go". Anne nods and looks deeply into Mary's hazel eyes, "Be careful, and trust no one".

Mary is taken aback by the young girl's words and an apprehensive expression forms on her face. Before Mary can respond, the nuns rush her into an elegant wooden carriage. Mary replayed the conversation with Anne in her mind. Trust no one. These words rang in her head like a throbbing headache until her carriage came to a halt. She moved away the scarlet drapes covering the window and peered outside to discover she had finally arrived at French Court.

As Mary Stuart stepped out of her carriage, she realized this would be her new life. The nunnery was now a distant memory Mary longed to escape to. Alas, France was her new home and Francis was her ordained future. Once her feet landed on the French pebbled rode, she heard a familiar voice. "Mary!" yelled Aylee as she ran to hug Mary, totally forgetting she was addressing the Queen of Scotland and the soon to be Queen of France. "Aylee my dear friend, you came!" Mary said with a smile. "Of course I came, we all did". 

As Aylee spoke these words, Mary's three other Ladies ran up behind her. "Greer, Kenna, my dear Lola," she exclaimed with the brightest smile plastered on her face. They all came in for a long awaited group hug, a hug they hadn't done in several years. "I hate to break up this happy reunion," another familiar voice said with a smirk. When Mary let her warm embrace go, she saw the Dauphine of France, Francis de Valois. A little light from her eyes left, as she remembered why she had traveled to France. 

He continued, "I hope your ride to French Court was nothing but fit for a queen". His voice had changed so much from the last time Mary was at court, granted they were only six years old. She studied his golden locks of hair as she gave her response, "The ride was just perfect. It's very nice to see you again Francis,'' she bowed and he reciprocated her formality. "The same to you. I see your two front teeth have finally grown in." Mary blushed at Francis's comment as her ladies giggled behind her. "Yes, it seems they have. And I see you have finally grown taller than me. As I recall, my legs were longer than yours when we were children", Mary said with a mischievous smile. "Touché '' he exclaimed with a laugh.

When the conversation died down, Francis held out his hand and said, "May I escort you to your chambers?". Mary took his hand with a look of gratitude. As they walked past the crowd, she noticed another familiar face but couldn't put a finger on who it was. Mary didn't realize how obvious her stare towards the strange young man was. It caught Mary by surprise when Francis leaned over in her ear and whispered, "That's my bastard brother, Sebastian. I don't think you've ever met before but since he is at court, you should be acquainted". Mary had only seen him on one occasion, the day she left French Court. While she was fleeing to the nunnery due to English threats, he was arriving at French Court with his mother Diane. "If you insist". Mary walked past the crowds of people in the courtyard eager for her arrival, with the man she would marry walking right beside her.

When Mary was settled in her room, she received an anonymous knock at her door. As she opened the door, she saw a very handsome smile waiting on the other side. "Hello Queen Mary, Francis told me it was best we be acquainted", said Francis's bastard brother. "Of course" she paused, obviously confused, "but aren't there more proper ways to greet your brother's fiancé?" she questioned. "I'd assume there are. My apologies, I haven't gotten used to life at court yet... although I have been here quite some time now", Bash explained, obviously embarrassed by his actions. "So you stand outside women's rooms a lot then?" Mary teased while Bash lowered his head and smiled. "I'm not as careless as I seem, please forgive me, Your Majesty". "You are forgiven", Mary bowed her head slightly and smiled, "And please, there is no need for formalities. Call me Mary. Sebastian, is it?" questioned Mary. "You can call me Bash, as you said, there is no need for formalities. We are practically family since you are betrothed to my brother". Bash teased. "My thoughts exactly. So tell me, how is life at French Court?" Mary asked.

"Well, if you don't count the politicians, backstabbing, and the looming responsibilities, it can be quite nice", he said with a cheeky grin. "But I think you will adjust nicely here with the help of Francis and me... if you'd like", Bash's cheeks started to blush.

"It would be so nice to have a friend at court that knows what's happening, besides my fiancé. If I have any questions about politicians or backstabbing, I know who to come to. Thank you Seba-... I mean, Bash." she said with a shy smile.

"Of course, Mary," he uttered softly. His sea-glass eyes stared deeply into hers before he bowed and walked away. As Mary closed her chamber doors, she felt as if she had a friend. A friend that would help her through life at court, a friend that she wasn't forced to marry. But that sensation of certainty passed as she remembered what Anne had warned before her departure: Trust no one