4. Terrible Sister

Start from the beginning

I shake my head. "No, of course it doesn't. You're nothing like him Sarah. Rafe on the other hand, he is following in Ward's footsteps."

Rafe wasn't always a bad kid. Sure, he did some questionable things, but it was always to get his father's attention. Rafe just wanted to be loved and appreciated. When his Mother was in the picture, he was a different person. In my opinion, when she left, he started to do things to 'please' Ward because he feared that he would lose the only parent he had left. 

"Rafe worships the ground that my Dad walks on. Mind you, that should be concrete ground which is locked off behind bars because he should be in jail for the crimes that he has committed."

"I can't believe the cops haven't tracked him down."

"They still think he's dead. Just like the truth about Peterkin's death, it was our word against Ward's. They think we're just stupid kids who are making up shit."

I roll my eyes. Typical cops. Peterkin seems like she was the only one with her head screwed on. 

"The only one who knows where my Dad is, is Rafe. And obviously he won't tell me where that is. We've barely said a word to each other since he tried to kill me as well. Some family I have." She half laughs. 

Given the way that Sarah feels about Rafe, I am surprised that she still lives in the same house as him. I know that she said she only lives there for Wheezie, but wouldn't she be afraid that he would try to hurt her again?

"Has Rafe tried to hurt you since he almost drowned you?"

"No. Like I said, we barely communicate. When we do, it's insulting each other."

"Does Wheezie like him?"

She nods her head. "She knows that he has done questionable things, but Rafe has never hurt Wheezie. My brother is insane, though I really don't think he would ever hurt her. He better not because if he does, it'll be his turn to have his head dunked in the tub."

"That's where he tried to drown you, in a bath tub?"

"No, it was a tub of water at the wharf. It's all a little hazy to me. I have tried to forget everything about that night."

"Lucky for Topper."

Sarah laughs. "Yeah, lucky for Topper."

We continue driving to her house and when we arrive, she waves to the guy in the security booth beside the front entry gates. He opens the boom gates and Sarah waits for the grey aluminium gates to swing open before driving in. 

Their house is breathtaking. Sure it blends in with all of the other white coloured mansions in the street, but their front yard is bigger. The white panelled windows out the front are tinted so you cannot see inside. On top of those windows are more panelled windows, but an arch shape. 

There are two large outdoors lights either side of the front steps which I imagine light up the front of the house in the night. There's a balcony on the second story which travels across the entire area. 

There are many trees and hedges in the front garden which are currently being maintained by three groundsmen. They've got a lot of work cut out for them to keep these gardens looking incredible. 

This house is a dramatic contrast to where I'm living. Who would think that they're only a 7 minute drive apart. 

Sarah leaves the car running and gets out of the car. I reach over and switch it off before pulling out the keys. I get out of the car and follow Sarah inside. 

When I walk through the front door, I am shocked when I see the interior. I expected everything to be decked out in white, considering the exterior of the house is all white. There are dark timbered floors with an antique red patterned rug set out across the middle of the floor. There's a mahogany coloured console to my right with a landscape artwork of the ocean displayed on the wall. To my left is another mahogany coloured unit with a set of eight drawers. On this table there's a picture of the Cameron family. Ward, Rose, Rafe, Sarah and Wheezie.