"You can grab the passenger's seat," Fern said, unlocking the doors. Getting in over head, she looked at Fern as the woman got settled in the driver's seat. Fern, nor Greg or Doug would hurt a fly, so she shouldn't be so nervous.

"Getting in?" Fern asked, throwing her head back with an expectant glance.

After she got in, Fern pulled out of the alley and together they sat in silence. Neither wanted to address the elephant in the car, Fern periodically glancing to her right. Clearing her throat, she finally spoke up.

"I know we're not well acquainted, but it looks like the gears in your head are spinning. Doug was a bit aloof when I let him off for the day. He told me his side and well, me being me, I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt. Only if you're comfortable, of course."

Evie glanced at Fern, then back out her window. She made herself aware of every little thing they passed.

"Well, I didn't mean to—" Evie began. She stopped as she knew Fern could see right through her. The woman's eyes were still focused on the windshield, but her mind clearly was not. She had admitted that it was easy to read people.

"I guess what I meant was that this is not who I am. This whole thing spiraled beyond what I thought. My friends dared me and I went with it. I don't even know how you offered me a ride. I'm evil," Evie cried, anticipating Fern to agree.

"No you aren't. You're much more than what happened and I know that. I don't know how I'd sleep if I hadn't offered you a ride. Common courtesy."

"I caused all this because I didn't know what else to do. I really don't know how to balance being the beautiful, poised Evie and the more relaxed and comfortable Evie. I'm really not that good at much. I tried to relieve my guilt by telling myself I did all of this to make him happy. But apparently, he's more complex than I thought."

"Making someone happy isn't all that possible, Evie. The only person that can make someone happy is themself. Are you happy, Evie?"

"No. Yes. Yes, yes I am."

"You can be honest."

"I don't know. Like I wish I had 'things.' I'm good at selfies, if I do say so myself, but I don't really think that's a skill. I have thousands of followers, but that's just from talent and well, genetics..." she trailed off. Fern arched a brow, but said nothing. "I wish my relationship with my mom wasn't the way it is. I wish I could get something right for once. I don't even have hobbies or interests—I'm just pretty."

"I beg to differ," Fern began as Evie noticed where they were. She pulled up to the sidewalk of the quad that contained campus housing. A few students milled around, some on picnic blankets or at lantern lit tables. It wasn't quite dark yet.

"You are very pretty, that's for sure. But I'm sure you've gotten better grades, so you are doing at least one thing right. You took it upon yourself to try to apologise, you've been trying harder in school, Doug told me you got a B on your last quiz in Chemistry. You like movies, don't you? And you've got impeccable style. I wish I could pull off that shade of blue," Fern chuckled, clutching her honey brown shoulder length hair.

The woman's smile got wider as Evie looked down to her own long dark hair and reciprocated the look.

Evie took a moment to collect her bag and unbuckle her seatbelt. Slinging her purse on her shoulder, she reached for the handle to get out. Stopping for a second, she turned to Fern. "He talks about me?"

Fern's smile turned into laughter and her eyes fell to the floor of the car. "Oh, I supposed I shouldn't have let that slip. He's going to be so mad. I mean he mentions you here and there... he's very impressed with your work."