The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo (Gun Violence)

Author: Amy Schumer

Country: United Estates

Language: English

Genre: Autobiographical

Media Type: Hardcover, Paperbook, Audiobook

Pages: 336

* * *

Lately, I've been talking about this book on my Instagram stories. I've been praising the writing and the subject matter that it tackles, which is actually very varied. I still haven't finished it yet, still have a couple of chapters to go, but I wanted to talk about it now because today I read a chapter that deals with something very much present in the U.S.A.: gun violence.

The reason why I want to bring this up is that I want to reinforce the fact of how well the author, Amy Schumer, deals with this. Everyone knows about gun violence and how it has been affecting the U.S. for decades, but this chapter has really shown me how real and dreadful it truly is.

I'm not from the U.S. so all I know from this topic is from my country's news, which doesn't tell half of what goes on when it comes to gun violence. They tell the ones that are the most significant or the most shocking, but most likely they miss many of them.

The author used a personal example to explain why she became an advocate for stopping gun violence and leaves information about how to get involved at the end of the book, alongside a list of people in the American Congress who have taken money from and been influenced by the gun lobby.

She also explains how she has been working with politicians to find solutions to this issue, even being asked by the White House to meet ex-president Barack Obama for her efforts on the matter.

I could honestly keep talking about how much she has enlightened me on this matter, but this, supposedly, short review would be way too long. So instead of that, I'm going to recommend you all to get a hold of this book and read it for yourselves.

I still remember when my mother recommended this book and how I struggled so much to get started with it. But I'm so glad that I did because it has definitely become one of my favourite books.

Once I finish it I'll do a full review of it since there's a lot to unpack in this autobiographical book.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. See you all soon!