Chapter 2: News

Tap! Tap! Tap! Tap! 

Harry woke up with a start. He panted for breath. His face was sweating and his eyes were wide. 

Harry didn't know what to make of that dream. It was different...more raw, more real. It was like he was meant to see that. He sat at the edge of his bed, his hands on his head as he contemplated what he had just witnessed. 

Was that a vision? He couldn't guess. Suddenly, there came a tapping at the window. 

Tap! Tap! Tap! Tap! 

He turned back to see a black owl standing at the window frame, tapping his beak at the glass pane. It was almost to dark to see in the night sky, only being lit from the silvery glimmer of the moon. Harry quickly opened the window, letting the owl rest upon the window stool. The owl had an envelope tied around his leg. 

"For me?" Harry asked as he stroked the owl's feathers. He smiled, they were beautiful creatures, and very good friends. 

The owl nodded and hooted in delight at being treated properly. It raised up its leg and Harry untied the letter.

He looked at it deeply. It was a large envelope, well designed and held firm in Harry's hand. On the front was a wax seal  made of gilded gold. 

Someone must really, like their gold, Harry mused. 

On the seal was of a golden shield with an ornate key running down the center. Harry quickly identified the seal. "Gringotts..." he muttered under his breath. 

What would Gringotts want with him? He was barely anyone with importance and what could they have that was so important that they had to send it in the middle of the night? Harry really didn't know but decided that he would tolerate it if it would mean he could stay awake. He didn't want anymore dreams. 

The owl hooted loudly, taking Harry's attention of the envelope. Its claw was extended, waiting for its payment. "Oh," said Harry as he quickly made his way towards his cabinet and retrieved some sickles and placed it in its claw. The owl hooted once more before flying off into the night sky. 

"It won't wait for a reply?" Harry asked out loud. Strange behavior for an owl. 

Harry shrugged it off and opened the envelope. He took the letter from within and read it. 

GRINGOTTS BANK
Fortius Quo Fidelius 

Greetings Mr. Potter!

We beg for your forgiveness for writing to you at this very late hour of night but we have decided that this news cannot wait for morning. I am Silverclaw, the head of  Gringotts bank and I have discovered disconcerting news. Due to the nature of this information, I deemed it too risky to be written to you on paper. I ask that you personally come to the Gringotts branch in Diagon Alley to hear this news yourself. This letter also acts as a portkey, you may simply utter "Blood" and you shall be transported to our halls. We ask that you come immediately, this new is of the utmost importance. 

May the blood of your enemies fall on upon your blade. 
SILVERCLAW *

P.S. It is best that you pack everything required for the new Hogwarts year. 

Harry's eyes widened. What could be so important? He really wouldn't know, he didn't even know what a Portkey was. Harry quickly gathered his stuff, as much as he could manage. He packed everything within his trunk and grabbed Hedwig's cage. Hedwig hooted in surprise.