"Not that I know of," Caspian admitted. He looked to Drinian, seeming to ask if he knew a way. Drinian turned away. 

Eustace growled. 

"Aunt Alberta will not be pleased," Edmund said.  

Gwen turned to Caspian. "What do we do?" she whispered. 

"I do--" 

Caspian was cut off by Tavros the Minotaur. "The boats are ready, sire!" 

"We can't leave him alone," Lucy said.

"Well, we can't bring him on board, Your Majesty," Drinian said. 

Gwen looked up at Caspian, seeing his expression. He already made up his mind about what was to be done. 

"Drinian, you and the others take one boat back," Caspian said. "The rest of us will stay here till morning and. . . work out what to do."

"But you've no provisions and no means of staying warm, Your Majesty." Rhince, Gael's father objected. 

Eustace took a breath in and blew out, lighting a stick on fire. Everyone began to laugh. 

"Well, Mr. Rhince, I think you may want to rethink your comment." Gwen smiled and he returned it. 

"Daddy, I want to stay," Gael pleaded. 

Rhince looked up at Gwen. 

She nodded. "Of course." 

He gave her a grateful look and said goodbye to his daughter. 

"We need to gather more firewood. I'll go see how much I can scavenge." Gwen decided. 

"I'll come with you," Caspian said. "To make sure you don't get lost or--" 

"Have another Eustace incident?" 

He smiled. "Yes," 

~~~
"It's getting so dark," Gwen said. "We should head back. I think we have enough." She looked down at her full arms and then to Caspian's. 

"I think we do." He allowed Gwen to lead the way. 

Gwen looked up to the darkening sky, gaping at the beauty. 

"I take it you've never seen a sky like this," Caspian said. 

"No," she sighed. Stars littered the different mixed hues of blue. "It's so. . . it's so beautiful. After all this time that we've spent here, I've never truly paid attention to the sky. It's so different. I didn't know there were so many stars. Or that there could be." 

They dropped the firewood down quietly as everyone else was asleep. Caspian threw some in, making the fire grow larger and brighter. 

They sat down next to each other, some space still between them. 

The sound of the waves breaking against the rocks and shore sent a calm through Gwen, making her feel sleepy. The fire crackled and popped as a light breeze blew. 

Gwen looked to Caspian, a memory popping back into her mind. "Last night, you said that you were going to tell me something. What was it?" 

Caspian's heart seized in anxiety. He would just be blunt and tell her straight out. 

"Gwen, I love you."

Gwen stared at him, too shocked to move or speak. 

He loved her. She couldn't believe it.

 She knew what her heart wanted. 

But her head took dominance.

"I. . . I. . . Caspian, we--we can't. I'll--be leaving again, and--"

"We can figure something out. I know that Aslan brought you back to me. He'll allow you to stay." He came closer to her.

Gwen looked down, shaking her head. Tears pricked her eyes. "I'm unlovable, Caspian. I have too many things wrong with me. The people would hate me, the court would. . . you would in time. Besides the Pevensies, no one has loved me in years," she whispered.

His hand fell to her cheek, his fingertips brushing her hair. "Gwendolyn, I swear to love you so tenderly you will never feel unloved again."

She looked up at him. "I'm scared to take the chance. Please don't think I don't have feelings for you, because I do. More than I've ever had for anyone. More than I will ever have for anyone. I just. . ."

"I understand your caution. You don't have to say you love me if you don't. Or I dare say, even if you do. I know you have a hard time with these things, but trust me when I say this Gwen, you deserve every spot of love that is in this world and your own. I just. . . couldn't keep it in anymore. I had to tell you. Goodnight, Gwen. Sleep well."

Gwen watched as he stood up and went to lie down in his place.

He loved her.

And she loved him.

But her past continued to hold her present life at bay.