Clicking his tongue in mild disappointment, Hitoshi knocked on the door and called out:

"Dads are leaving. What do you want for dinner?"

A beat of silence followed, dwelling Hitoshi's frustration towards his brother.

"Whatever." Came a soft grunt from the other side.

It sounded like Katsuki didn't even try to pretend he was alright in there. If he were, he would have gone with something along the lines of 'I'm the one cooking for you, why'd you even ask me?'

With a bothersome puff, Hitoshi stumbled down the stairs where his fathers were putting on their shoes. Pops was on point Today just like every day, his outfit fabulous, jewelry and makeup on point, and he even forced Dad to put on a fit that excluded sweatpants.

"Katsuki's taking a bath." He explained before Pops would start yelling his goodbyes to receive no reply.

Surprisingly on edge instead of being excited to go out, Pops flopped his hair out of the way and bent down to be face to face with Hitoshi while Dad was putting his shoes on.

"Baby, I love you. Be a good boy, don't open the door for strangers, uh, or anyone, um, call me whatever happens—"

"Papa, you guys go out like every other week, we'll be fine. We're not kids anymore." Hitoshi cut him off, feeling like everyone except him was upset for a reason maybe too obvious to him to notice.

"Honey, you're thirteen." Pops pointed out.

"Yeah, and I raised myself till I was nine, and I'm still here. Why are you so dramatic?" Hitoshi asked.

"First off, I'm always dramatic. Second..." Pops trailed off, biting on his lip.

"Katsuki." Dad muttered, glancing at the top of the stairs to check if the delinquent was there.

"Well, it's not like he's going to come out of the bathroom just because you stay." Hitoshi mumbled, trying to swallow the irritation the image of Katsuki picking someone else to go to with a problem cast in his guts. He knew he was being a little petty, but he just loved being someone his brother could count on, and the thought of that being taken away just made him feel like crap.

Mouth flattening into a straight line, Pops put a hand on his shoulder and he said: "You're becoming more like Daddy with every day, son."

"He means you're being rude." Dad mumbled as he put his coat on and fixed Pops' scarf.

"I'm sorry. I'm not wrong, though. Chill for a bit. I'll call if something happens." Hitoshi gave in.

"Immediately." Pops added.

"No, even before that. I'm gonna call you yesterday." Or maybe he did not give in.

"He got that salt from you." Dad murmured as he opened the door and they finally left.

Hitoshi picked Shima up who had been lingering around his feet since he got to the hall, then he took her to the couch where Kuro was curled up on a hoodie he left there yesterday. He put some cartoons on the TV for the cats, and he went to the kitchen to look around for ingredients to figure out what to ask his brother to make him for dinner.

With a rumble in his stomach, Hitoshi reached for the leftover daifukus to eat while he was waiting for Katsuki. With the TV in the background, Hitoshi barely picked up on what he thought was a thud from upstairs. He stopped to listen, and the unmistakable sound of an explosion alarmed him and the cats on the couch as well. It wasn't out of the ordinary for Katsuki's quirk to go off when any minor inconvenience occurred, and it wasn't why Hitoshi froze in his place to listen. It was the silence that came after. No second detonation, not even an after pop. No screaming, no stomping or slamming things around. Just utter silence.