The teacher did scold them. 'early or dont come to class at all' was his policy.

Bullshit, in Noel's opinion, but maybe that was just him.

Classes passed by. Noel had Callum in a few of them. 

And then school was over. 

Neither Noel nor Callum had their licenses, so Noel took the bus and Callum got picked up.

Today, however, Callum was joining Noel on the bus. He'd finally convinced his aunt and uncle to let him go over to Noel's house, albeit to work on a school project that was interestingly in AP Gov. 

Noel still had yet to meet Clarice and Garrett. He was excited to, they sounded nice.

Noel did not dare hold Callum's hand or anything--he was openly gay, after all, and did not need rumors to spread of Callum's sexuality--but he did grab onto Callum's shoulder so they could find a seat together.

Lucky lucky. They snagged a seat with just each other, Noel giving Callum the window seat.

It was good that he did. He predicted that the same dicks who were always on the bus would be here today.

And so they were.

A dramatic gasp sounded from the seat to the right of Noel. There was the entire middle empty space between them, but the dicks always managed to get to Noel.

"Oh my god," The biggest jerk, nicknamed Dick 1 by Noel, cried. "The fag finally fucking pulled a boyfriend, huh?"

Noel didn't respond, choosing instead to reach into his pocket and pull out a light gray mask he kept on him in case of being recognized.

(covid nonexistent :))

The mask was handed to Callum, who had been staring into the window but stiffened at hearing what had been said to Noel.

"Wear this. Don't get outed." Noel whispered. 

"Don't fucking ignore me!" Dick 1 hissed as Callum did as he was told.

"Hm? Oh, I'm sorry, did you say something?" Noel asked absentmindedly. He ignored the negative feelings churning in his stomach, a whirlpool of bad that he refused to individually label.

"You piece of--" Dick 1 cut himself off and looked to Dicks 2 and 3. One of them handed him their water bottle.

Noel didn't even move as he was splashed with cold water. Callum made a sound of protest, but Noel shot him a side glance that said don't.

"I appreciate the splash of water, dick." Noel smiled blankly at Dick 1. "I was falling asleep at your stupid voice."

The bus came to a halt and Noel realized this was his stop.

"This is where I get off. See you tomorrow, Dicks 1 through 3." Noel nodded with a smug smile.

Dick 1 punched him right in the face.

It hurt. Like a bitch.

But Noel did not punch Dick 1 back. The American school system was fucked. Self-defense wasn't a valid defense in school. You getting bullied and are just trying to protect yourself? Lmao who cares. Get suspended.

So instead, Noel gave him another smile and dragged Callum off the bus before Callum could beat the guy up. Noel made sure to send a thank you to the bus driver before getting off.

"Does-does this happen every day?" Callum cried as the bus left.

Noel gingerly touched his eye, wincing. He would probably develop a black eye.

"Yes." He shrugged. "Homophobia, am I right?"

Callum scowled.

"Why don't you stand up for yourself?" He asked. His voice wasn't angry, it was concerned; Noel appreciated that.

He shrugged again.

"I'd get suspended." And with that, the duo began the short walk to Noel's house.