1.03 Flying Solo

The boys reappear on the edge of the crowd that is, as expected, trying to figure out how the band disappeared. Thankfully, one of the girls from Dirty Candy (the purple one) provides the frozen Julie with an explanation.

"Were those holograms?" she calls.

"Yes!" Julie exclaims, happy to jump on the excuse. "Yes. They were holograms. Uh, I plugged it into the ceiling projector before the show. I'd explain it but it involves algorithms and science stuff..."

Naturally, the mention of math and science is enough to make the students forget trying to get an actual explanation. They cheer again, impressed both by the performance and the idea of a hologram band.

"That's wild," Luke says as the four of them watch their reactions. "They- they could see us when we were playing but not when the music ended."

"We should double check," Reggie decides. He then proceeds to run halfway up the stairs to the stage and circle his hips in an odd little dance to see if anyone else can see him.

"Oh, Reggie," Max sighs.

"Yeah," he says as hops back down the stairs. "I don't- I don't think they can see us."

"I wish I couldn't see you," Alex says blankly.

Reggie gives him an offended look before he's quickly distracted by the leaving crowd of students. He makes his way over to the same girl in purple and tries his best to talk to her, apparently forgetting he can't be seen or heard.

Alex brings one hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose. "Okay. Someone tell me how he manages to remember the chords to a song when he also does stuff like that?"

"Reggie is... a special case," Max says with a grin. He shoves his hands in the pockets of his jacket to hide the way they shake slightly.

He loved being on stage again. He loved getting to play with the boys again. There is, however, one thing he failed to take into account before they went up there.

The lights.

As long as he doesn't actually focus on them, he's fine. He can keep his attention on the music and everything else happening on stage. Still, seeing those bright lights...

Max shakes his head, pushing away the sound of shattering glass. "So, now what?" he asks. "Do we wait for Julie or...?"

"We can meet her in the hall," Alex suggests. He gestures toward the stage where Julie and Flynn are having what looks like a rather tense conversation. "She, uh, she looks a bit busy right now."

"Good call," Luke agrees with a nod. He jerks his thumb at the door. "Come on, boys."

They make their way out into the hallway, watching the students make their way past on the way to class while they wait for Julie. Eventually, at Luke's urging, they end up in a vaguely pyramid-like formation so they can surprise the girl.

"She's not gonna like this," Max says with an amused smile, standing behind the other three and ready to catch Luke on the off chance he falls off their little pyramid.

"Hush, you," Luke tells him. "She'll love it." He briefly considers 'falling' from the pyramid so Max can catch him before his attention is, along with the other three, drawn by the girl they've been waiting for.

"Julie!"

She shrieks slightly at the sudden yell. "Gah, you... stop doing that!" she tells them.

They break formation, all four of them grinning wide.

"I'm serious," she adds.

Reggie holds his hands up defensively. "Woah. Woah. Woah. This one's on you," he protests. He points at the floor in front of him. "We were already here. Well, actually, we were over there," he points over his shoulder, "and then we came over here."