Good As Hell

Marshall POV

L: I miss u!! Why don't u fly out tomorrow so I can see you?

I was dumbfounded when Lilly text me that afternoon asking me to come to California. She had made such a big deal to have some time to herself and she already missed me. I was excited because I miss her too. I don't like coming home to an empty house. It's meaningful to have her there waiting for me in the evening to talk about our days' and hang out together.

M: If that's what you want baby.

L: That's what I want

M: I'll see what I can do

"Hey," I ran into Paul in the lobby of the studio. "I need a flight to LAX tomorrow. Lilly asked me to join her on her trip."

Paul gave me a stern look over, "Oh yeah?" He leaned back in his chair. "I guess she changed her mind. Sounds good man. I'll set it up."

I went back in the studio in a much lighter mood and text my daughters to let them know I'll be gone for a few days. Maybe if Lilly and I could be together in a different place, things would get a little better. I asked Hailie if she could stay at the house to keep an adult eye on Angel and Dom.

H: I got this dad!! Go be with Lilly! You're gonna have so much fun!

Wow. She seems happy.

Lilly POV

It was thrilling to have my vision back! The first person I contacted was my husband to invite him to come out and join me in Cali for a couple days. We have a lot to catch up on. He must have told Paul to arrange the flight already because Paul texted me just a few minutes after.

P: So, that thing worked out?

L: Yes! It's amazing!

P: Congrats! So happy for you!

"So, you want to go home and rest? Maybe you should just take it easy today." Shiq told me from behind the steering wheel before we pulled out.

I shrugged, "Nah, actually I feel surprisingly good. I'm not sick at all. Let's grab something to eat, I haven't had food for like fourteen hours now!"

I watched out the window as we drove past folks hurrying down the sidewalks on their lunch break, palm trees, and fancy luxury stores. I didn't realize how thrilling this was going to be. I had not given myself permission to fully embrace the fact that this could be so wonderful. As if to commemorate this magnificent occasion, Good as Hell by Lizzo came on the radio and I turned it to full blast! We traveled down to the Third Street Promenade as I stood up in my seat to stick my head and arms out of the sunroof to sing and dance to the music while Shiq laughed at me hysterically from behind the wheel.

I was so excited, I sat back down in my seat and called up Tessa, "Yo, I'm sending you an Uber! Shiq and I are hanging out at Santa Monica Yacht Harbor!"

"Cool! It'll take me twenty minutes."

Shiq pulled into the lot, and I slid my hoodie off so I could get some sun in a tank top.

"If Tessa's coming, Ima call up Crystal. I'll tell her to join us." Shiq dialed our other friend.

We all met up for lunch and my daughter and Crystal were both super surprised and excited to learn that I could actually see them. Tessa looked bright and happy. I would talk to her alone later that day, but she told me how she goes to counseling and participates in group therapy. Crystal was glad to see me too. The last time I was in her company was at my shitty surprise party when she sat with me on the porch until everyone left.

After a lunch of boisterous, excited laughter, we decided to check out the shops for a bit, stopped to watch some street musicians, and even took a ride on the Ferris wheel. I had forgotten how amazing it was to see! I still had to tell Marshall and my other two kids. It was official, I made the right decision to go ahead with the surgery.

~~~~~

"Ladies, Tessa and I are gonna take a little walk for a bit."

I grabbed Tessa's arm and led her toward the pier. We walked all the way to the end to watch the tide come in. I stood with my daughter in a private silence for a bit until she started to tell me about her thoughts on life.

"Mom, I have a lot of bad memories from when I was a little kid. You and dad kinda traumatized me for a few years there." She giggled a bit, but then straightened up. "There was just some stuff that I had to make peace with before I can move on with life."

"Well good. Take care of that shit now before you're suddenly going through it at thirty like I did." We both laughed at that one. "No seriously though, I apologize for any hurt I created or things I put you through as a child. I wasn't in a good frame of mind then; I was as old as you are now when I had you. It's not an excuse, but it's true."

"I know mom, it's alright. We can only move forward."

"We can only move forward." I hugged her.

A little while later, I was riding shotgun on the ride back to Shiq's condo. We had already dropped Tessa off on the way.

"So, you didn't tell Marshall yet? You gonna surprise him tomorrow in person?"

I smiled as I imagined the moment I told Marshall, "Yeah. He's gonna be shocked."

"What are going to do first?" Shiq asked me.

"Uh, jump his bones!"

We both laughed.

"No, I mean what are you going to do after that? Where will you go? You should go on a date night."

I looked out the window before I answered.

"We're going to go everywhere and do everything. We're gonna take on the world."