Charlotte spun, picture frame still in hand, to meet eyes with her younger sister who was regarding her with a shocked expression.

"Mom didn't know if you would make it back because of the hurricane." Kie explained, stepping further into her sister's room.

Cracking a small smile, Charlotte shrugged. "Can't keep me away." She joked, the humour not quite meeting her eyes.

Kie grinned for moment, her smile faltering when she noticed what Charlotte was holding. "I heard." She declared, nodding at the picture frame ─ "about you and Rafe."

Of course she had heard. Everyone on the island probably had.

"Yeah." Charlotte muttered, opening her dresser drawer before shoving the picture frame inside. "I ended things. It's for the best."

"You deserve way better than him." Kiara assured, her hate for the Kook showing just a bit too much. "He's a douche."

Charlotte forced a smile at her sister's efforts to cheer her up. "I know."

Kiara studied her sister's solemn face for a moment before letting out a sigh. "Why don't you come to the Chateau with me? We're thinking of throwing a kegger tonight down on the beach...you can help us set up."

"I'm fine, Kie. You don't have to be damage control. I'll just unpack...I have enough shit to keep me busy for the entire night."

"Oh, give it up." Kiara ordered, throwing a pair of car keys in Charlotte's direction. "Let's go."

─☼☼☼─

It had almost been a full year since Charlotte had been on this side of the island. 

The Cut was nothing compared to the pristine nature of the Figure Eight. But somehow, it almost felt more like home than her real home did. It was when she was on the far side of the island that Charlotte truly understood her sister and why she avoided Kook life. It was also on this side of the island that Charlotte truly understood herself.

Here, there was no need for fake smiles or done up hair. No need for country clubs or parties at expensive houses. The Cut was the only place Charlotte truly let her guard down.

The Carrera sisters may have lived two totally different lives, but deep down they were the same in more ways than either of them liked to admit.

"No fucking way!" Came a voice from the enclosed porch as Kiara and Charlotte approached. It was slightly muffled by the screens, but even the,  the eldest Carrera girl knew who it was. "If it isn't Miss. Kook herself."

Charlotte rolled her eyes as she followed after Kiara, giving a quick glance at each of the boys before her eyes settled on the one addressing her. "Yeah, yeah, bring it on. I deserve everything you're thinking. Let's hear it, JJ."

The blonde haired boy simply shook his head, a full grin covering his face. "Nah, Charley. I'll let you off easy this time."

"Thank God." Charlotte muttered, flopping down on the couch next to him before plucking the beer out of his hand and taking a swig.

JJ frowned as John B let out a laugh. "It's great to see you, Charley. Didn't expect to be graced by your presence, though."

Charlotte looked over at John B, quirking a brow as she elbowed JJ away from her as he tried to reclaim his beer. "And why's that?"