vi. dumb ideas and scene 45

Start from the beginning

She looked up but instead of seeing her sister's redhead best friend, she saw the girls' cousin. "Seriously? Here to yell at me some more? Maybe tell me I can't be in the play because it can ruin your relationship with Nini?"

"No," EJ said scratching the back of his neck. "I need your help with writing an apology song for Nini."

Reece burst out laughing, "No." He should've known that would be her response. "That's literally the dumbest thing you've ever asked me. I'm not helping you write a song for your girlfriend because you did something dumb. I'm sorry, Caswell, but no."

"Please, Reece." He pleaded, "I've never even written a poem before, let alone a song. I did something really dumb and I need to show Nini how sorry I am."

Reece sighed in defeat, "Let me give you some advice, all she wants is you to be honest with her. She would want you to come clean, tell her that you're sorry and if you have to say it a million times." with that she left.

EJ let her words sink in, he realized, yes she was talking about Nini but also about herself.

"I'm sorry." he whispered. He knew she couldn't hear him and maybe he didn't want her to but he needed to say it.

♪♫ ♫♪

The next day Reece made her way to the bombshell, she didn't have rehearsal today but she needed to ask Ms. Jenn a question about the musical. But, before she reached the room Ms. Jenn called out for her. "Reece, perfect!" she walked towards the girl. "Our Troy and Chad rehearsal got a little..." she searched for the right word, "out of hand. Do you mind getting EJ ice from the office?"

Reece nodded, "Sure." before she could say anything else Mr. Mazzara pulled the drama teacher away.

The whole way from the bombshell to the office, to the washrooms (she couldn't find the right one) Reece worried about what she was supposed to say.

"EJ?" she called out knocking on the door, "Please tell me you're alone or, ya know, at least in here."

"Right here, Reece." he answered. He recognized her voice instantly.

Reece walked in, he stood by the sink, whipping his bloody lip with a wet paper towel and not to mention shirtless. "Here." Reece handed him the ice, she didn't look at his eyes but she didn't let her eyes falter and kept them on his face, or pretty much anywhere but his body. It's not that she had never seen him shirtless, she just didn't want to see him like that at that exact moment.

"Anything else?" he asked as if her presence annoyed him. She looked at him taken aback. "Sorry," he apologized, "Ricky, is really starting to get on my nerves."

"It's okay, I get it." she was about to leave but quickly changed her mind. "Actually, there is something else. It's just you're washing your shirt wrong. It's not gonna..." she trailed off, "Let me just." she took his place by the sink taking out her tide pen from her backpack. "Ice that." she demanded pointing at the ice and then his lip.

EJ leaned on the wall, icing his lip, as per her request.

"Why do you have a stain remover pen in your bag?" he asked.

"Anne. Sometimes her art gets messy so I keep one in my bag, one in hers, one in Josie's, a few in my locker, and 3 in the art room."

He chuckled at her response, he forgot how prepared she was for any situation.

They stood in silence for a while the only noise coming from the facet.

"Did you show Nini the song?" she asked, still scrubbing the shirt.

"No, Ash told me it wasn't heartfelt enough and I have no idea what else to do."

She finished cleaning the shirt, getting most of the blood out. "Can I see it?" she asked. It took him by surprise, but he nodded, which took her by surprise.

She dried her hands taking the phone from his hand.

She smiled softly as she read it, which made him smile.

"It's pretty good." he took the phone back.

"Pretty good isn't going to get Nini to trust me. Besides, I'm not telling her anymore. I'm not going to make Ricky look like the hero."

Reece sighed and rolled her eyes, "Listen, EJ, just come clean and tell her you're sorry. You don't need to write her a song. Nini'll forgive you...I think."

He sighed in defeat. She knew he wouldn't tell her no matter how hard she pushed him but it was worth a shot. Once again silence filled the room, it wasn't uncomfortable nor was it comfortable, it was just silence.

"Hey, EJ?"

"Yeah, Reece?"

She bit the inside of her cheek to keep her from laughing, "Did you know that you shine just like the stars, and I'm not even a night light." she joked.

He glared at her playfully, "Seriously? Oh my God, I hate you so much right now."

She let out a laugh, "Would you forgive me if I said a million, no, a billion sorrys?"

He grinned at her, "I've never met a more annoying person in my life." he began to laugh along with her. It was almost like things had never changed between them. They didn't hate each other, they never broke up, it was the same as it used to be. Reece stared at the ground calming her laughter down. She didn't notice the way EJ was looking at her, like it was still his junior and her sophomore year like they were still happily dating like it was just him and her against the world.

Unfortuanly, Ricky came barging into the bathroom. "Hey-" Reece jumped and turned her head towards Ricky. "Did I interrupt something?"

"No," the redhead blurted, "I was just leaving."

INEZ SPEAKS

ok but EJ in the gif >>>> 🥵

also this was written in 2 and a half hours so if it sucks that's why.