Chapter Twenty-One - TAM

Start from the beginning

And for what? Protection?

It was a farce.

Of course he knew that now, and not before.

But hindsight was a dangerous game to play.

He slowly stood, feeling as if his exhaustion had become heavier today than it had been once. Each step to the doorway, then the hall, felt like an anchor had been tied to his limbs, slowing him down. Fighting him.

And he was so tired of fighting back.

As he got closer to the commons, he heard talking—Sophie and Marella. It died as he stalked into the room.

His eyes did a quick sweep of the area. The round space, paired with uninhibited skylights, allowed for no shadows. It only made his all the more unnatural, the threads of vapor swirling around him like liquid.

In the center, Sophie sat on the couch. Across from her was Marella, cross-legged, head down so her short blond hair hid her face. She was angled away from him.

Tam felt a hint of remorse, but it faded away just as fast. Sucked up by his personal black void.

"It's about time you woke," Sophie said, smiling. The effect did little; her voice was slightly squeaky with nerves. "We've been discussing the game plan."

"I didn't know we had one."

"Well, I couldn't sleep last night, so I brainstormed a bit. Er, if you want to join us..." She gestured to the gold-filigree cushions.

Tam didn't move. "What have you talked about so far?"

"Mostly just the parts we're supposed to play," she said, not missing a beat.

His eyes narrowed. Did she think he was the weak link?

I'M NOT! he wanted to shout.

Anger coursed through him like ice water. He didn't understand.

Why? Why am I so angry?

"Since I'm the leader, we assume Hylda will look to me as the spokesperson—but that doesn't mean I don't want your guys' input. Hylda might ask you a few questions, and speak honestly, of course, but if you don't know, just follow my lead."

I can speak for myself.

"Hylda needs to be convinced the Human Reinstatement Program will not only benefit the elves and goblins, but all the intelligent species," Sophie continued. "All we have to do is present the facts."

"And what are the facts?" he rasped, barely able to concentrate through the black.

"With the Black Swan and Council working together, as well as with the people's support, we've managed to reinstate five hundred twenty-three out of one thousand two hundred fifty-six humans to the Lost Cities. The rest of those decided to stay in the Forbidden Cities and are being monitored so they don't do or say anything to rile up the other humans."

"So the humans can decide to go back to their normal lives without telling anyone about the elves?" asked Marella. "That sounds rough."

"Yeah, but it's their decision to make. The first round of humans whose memories are being tampered to allow for the existence of the other intelligent species are volunteers. Most of them are probably conspiracy theorists who think aliens exist or something—I don't know. But they go to these sites to get these memories implanted, and after they recover, they can choose to go back to their original lives or stay in the Lost Cities for a few years until all the humans know about the elves."