Akechi's Final Interlude

I didn't finish last chapter but I wanted to write this one anyway. 

Sunday, December 11 20XX

Third Person - Akechi

"In the end, I couldn't be special..."

His breath is ragged and he only half listens to the remarks and the comfort coming in from the opposing side. He finds himself struggling to keep himself upright; balancing on one knee and his right palm. 

There are words thrown at him like 'trust' or 'sympathize' or, God forbid, 'understand'. But then, the selfish words come in; 'self-benefit' being the big one. What doesn't help is the orange haired mistake from the Isshiki side pipes in, selling some bullshit about being compared to Joker. Then back into the negative words, this time it's 'hatred'. 

Akechi, completely taken aback by the responses, is at a loss for words. When there is nothing left to be said, the blonde ape on the opposite side utters some stupidity about the calling card. 

"We're gonna take Shido down," the track star stretches his arm. "What're you gonna do?"

"It'd be a problem if you kept getting in the way," the easy girl pitches in. "Wanna come along and help settle things?"

"Are you all idiots?" Akechi spits. "You should get rid of me... if you don't want me getting in your way. You all..." He stops, hopelessly searching for the right words. "Are truly beyond my comparison."

Footsteps click in the hull of the ship, sounding frustrated and determined. The Phantom Thieves share a collective gasp, leading Akechi to slowly turn his head. In horror, the one labelled Skull lets out a startled: "Akechi..?"

"Another one?" The gay artist, the gay competition, sputters. "Wait... is he..?"

"That's Shido's cognitive version of Akechi!" The cat announces, confused and proud of himself at the same time.

The cognitive Akechi looks toward the floor, lets out a dark chuckle, then lifts a gun from his left hip. Black Mask Akechi just looks off to his right and heaves a sigh while the Phantom Thieves bring their guard back up. His head snapping to the right, the cognitive Akechi says in a cold monotone: "Don't worry. I'll take care of you all in a moment."

A gun clicks in place and a pair of flats rushes to the front of the Phantom Thieves. A creme colored glove holds a sleek black gun, hand raised shakily. 

"Captain Shido's orders," the cognition carries on, purposefully ignoring the risen hand. "He has no need for losers. Well, this moves the plan up a little. He was planning to get rid of you after the election anyway."

"What?!" Akechi's voice cracks. It's mix of the yelling from before and pure astonishment. 

"Did you truly believe you'd be spared after all the murders you undertook? Don't tell me... Were you actually feeling good about having someone rely on you? Which, by the way, the captain says it's time you receive retribution for causing the mental shutdowns."

"What the hell, man!" The blonde boy is surprised. "That bastard's the one that put him up to it!"

"Don't do it!" The girl with the gun challenges halfheartedly. Her hand is still shaking, but she's doing her best. 

The real Akechi slowly pushes himself off of the ground, successfully finding the strength to chuckle. "I see... I was wondering how he'd protect himself if I used my power to tear through his Palace. Turns out you're how. So he's making a puppet to kill me. Sounds like something he'd do."

"That's right," the cognition's words are clear and hateful. "I'll do anything. But look at yourself... you're the true puppet."

"Stop!" The feminine voice from the Thieves chimes in again, followed by a deeper voice to put her gun down. It's a quiet moment, but it steals the show for a single second. That single second gives Black Mask Akechi time to process the words before the cognition stabs him with his words again.