Maelynn turned to Kiara, who made a so-so gesture with her hand. 'Was it really?'

'Why is that so hard to believe?' JJ pouted. Maelynn put her hand on his cheek. 

'It's not that hard.'

'That's what she said.'

She laughed, leaning forward on him. 'Good God, what have I begun?'

Pope groaned and facepalmed, leaving Kiara and John B laughing harder that before. Maelynn and JJ were falling all over each other. The former's laugh had turned into a cackle-snort hybrid, which just egged everyone else on further. 

'Maelynn Cameron, I think we're going to have to keep you around forever.'

ミ⛧ ミ⛧ ミ⛧

Some time after they had all calmed down, Maelynn found herself swaying in JJ's arms. Soft music played and a gentle breeze cast over them as he led them around the patio. Kiara and John B were doing the same. Poor Pope. He wasn't even third wheeling; he was fifth wheeling. 

'If you help us pull this off, you're gonna become an honorary pogue,' JJ murmured in her ear. She shivered and smiled. 

'I'd love that more than you can imagine.'

He pulled back to see her face. 'Really?'

'Duh! Y'all are awesome.'

His face broke out into a wide grin, one that made Maelynn's heart sing. She wished he would look that happy all the time - he'd have even more girls falling at his feet if he did. 

Even more

'JJ?'

'Yeah?'

She hesitated a second. It was stupid to think she was different, but... 'Am I just going to be another conquest?'

'God, no,' he responded immediately. 'You're gonna be one of us, Maelynn. You'll get all the pogue perks, me included.'

'I know about the no pogue-on-pogue macking, though. Do you just like me because I'm a kook?'

'Nope. I like you because you're smart, and beautiful, and incredibly kind,' He tucked a lock of hair behind her ear and smiled, 'And I like having you around.'

'Thanks,' she whispered. 'Wanna know why I like you?'

'Why?'

'Because you're hot as fuck, kind, funny, and trustworthy.'

Suddenly, she was spinning in the air. JJ and she both laughed, the sound catching the attention of the other pogues. He set her down slowly, staring at her lips. 

As they both leaned in, Pope started booing. 'Get a room! Please get a room, for the sake of preserving my innocence!'

JJ flipped him the bird while still holding Maelynn with one arm. She was flushing and smiling warmly in the direction of Kiara and John B, who had quickly sprung apart. She raised one eyebrow at Kiara, who in turn nodded at JJ's arm slowly creeping down her back. Sly bastard. 

'Ah, ah, ah,' she said as she grabbed his hand. 'Not right now, thanks.'

JJ mock pouted in return, but left it be, instead putting his arm over her shoulders. They stood and listened to the mixed sounds of their friends quietly placing bets on them, the ocean, and the slow music that was still playing on the stereo. 

'I think you should stick around, Maelynn.'

She smiled at the boy who had captured her heart in only a few days. 'I think I should, too.'

ミ⛧ ミ⛧ ミ⛧

JJ hugged her one last time for the night just before she left, squeezing extra tight near the end. She had laughed and squeezed back three times before letting him go. 

'I'll be back tomorrow, JJ. I'm not leaving forever.'

'Even a night without you feels like an eternity, my love,' he proclaimed dramatically. He dropped to his knees and started kissing her knuckles. 'I pray that you will return in only a few hours' time, and return to me!'

'JJ, stop,' she giggled. 'I'm coming back in the morning. I'll see you then.'

He stood and brushed himself off, giving her a bright smile. 'Okay. Goodnight.'

Everyone else had already said goodbye, so she just shook her head and got in her truck. It would have been almost pitch black on the way home if not for her headlights and the streetlamps. She had to resist the urge to get out and go for a swim; everything looked so peaceful. 

She crept inside once she was finally home. Everyone had already gone to bed, so she snuck into Wheezie's room and shook her gently. 'Wheeze. I have a sort of boyfriend.'

The younger girl shot up. 'Really? Who? Since when?'

'His name is JJ. He's a pogue, and I think you can predict the future. He's kind and protective and funny. I think you two would get along well.'

'Can I meet him?'

'Maybe one day,' she smoothed her sisters' hair down. 'But you should get some sleep for right now. Text me tomorrow if I'm gone when you get up. Don't tell dad.'

Wheezie mimed zipping her lips up and then yawned. 'M'kay. Have a good sleep. Love you.'

'Love you, too.'

She tiptoed out of her room and into the one at the end of the hall, shutting the door quietly behind herself. Her phone chimed just as she reached her bed. 

jj
i forgot to tell u: sweet dreams

She smiled and sighed, tucking the phone to her chest.

maelynn <3
u 2, jj
<3

jj
<3

ミ⛧ ミ⛧ ミ⛧

1375 words.
written on august 9/21.