1x03: Dead Man's Party

After the whole debacle with Raphael and the Vampires taking Simon, the six shadowhunters managed to drive back to Institute without crashing the van that belong to the kidnapped mundane.

They all walked down the corridor in the entrance of the Institute; Clary storming in front as Scott and Melanie trailed behind, the male Lightwood dragged his feet against the floor as he walked.

The redhead didn't look back as she spoke up. "I still don't understand. How can shadowhunters be better than... than what you people call mundanes?"

Finally, at the end of the corridor and into the main control room, Clary stopped and turned around to face the other five shadowhunters. Alec leaned against one of the walls, pulling Melanie into his chest once more.

"Because we protect humans." Izzy spoke up.

"You're right. Humans. You protect humans." Clary sighed, her eyes snapping harshly to Izzy. "You left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

Alec felt the anger in his wife build up as the red-head snapped at his sister, and held Melanie back as she went to step forward. Izzy just looked down embarrassed by the truth; she already felt bad enough because she left the mundane alone but she had to make sure it was safe for him. She was doing her job.

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense." Alec spoke up quickly, holding his wife back and stroking her arm in comfort.

Clary scoffed at the eldest Lightwood's words and turned her harsh eyes to face Alec, who looked like he didn't care at all. He just kept stroking Melanie's arm and placed a gentle kiss onto her temple.

"Alec, not now." Izzy spoke, shaking her head.

Jace turned to Clary before explaining the situation to the red-head. He turned his back to the family that was his, as most of them, particularly Melanie, glared at him. She was starting to get very annoyed with the blonde before her; he didn't seem to care about anyone else but himself and the red-head.

"Look, they won't do anything to Simon." He explained. "They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you have it."

"But why do they think that? Why does anyone think that?" Clary shook her head, unable to keep her voice down as she argued back with Jace. "What, my mom lies to me my entire life except, 'Oh, by the way, there's this magic cup, I hid on, like the planet Bongo, but don't tell anyone'." She ranted. "What am I supposed to do now?"

"We have to report to the Clave." Scott spoke up, as the middle Lightwood brother began to walk away, closely followed by the married couple.

"Great." Jace groaned out, following the Lightwoods.

"They have to know we've learned about Valentine." Alec spoke up, backing up his brother.

Clary scoffed once more. "What, that he's my father?" She called out, causing the five shadowhunters to stop in their movement and look at her. "Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do Simon?"

Jace, who was leaning against the wall by the elevators, spoke up. "Clary, it's all connected. The vamps want the Cup."

"Why? It makes new Shadowhunters." Clary furrowed her eyebrows as her head snapped in the direction of the blonde male shadowhunter a little bit away from herself. 

Melanie rolled her eyes, her head tilting back as she let out a loud groan. She was getting really fed up with the red-head and it was seriously getting on her nerves. Sure, she was new to the whole shadow world but she was acting as though she ruled the world and what she said, goes.