Robin Hood it is

When Robin and I got back to the camp, ideas were already brewing in my head. Vengeance would be slow, but oh so sweet. For now, it was important for me to stay anonymous. All that meant was that someone else would take the spotlight, and I already knew who that would be.

Will was in the camp when we arrived and I hurried to his side. "Hey you. Oh I know that face. You've got something going on in that beautiful head o' yours. Tell me what's going on."

I grinned. "Where's John? We've got work to do." It didn't take long for us to all gather around the fire pit.

"Alright, so what's going on, young lady? What's so important that you had to take me away from the huntin? We gotta eat, ya' know." John gave me that look he always did, when he thought I was being silly or a time waster. But not this time. Things were about to be set in motion that would start a revolution in Nottingham. The sheriff wasn't nearly frightened enough, but he would be after I was done with him. Oh, would he be. My heart pounded. As much as it shouldn't, the idea of getting revenge on the man who ruined my life made me very, very happy.

"It's time. We've been hiding out for too long. It's time to get our freedom back." I spoke softly, making eye contact with each man. Robin still looked a little confused. I'm sure not many noblewomen would speak to their male friends this way. I couldn't blame him, really. He still hadn't been here very long. He would learn soon though. I wasn't just a woman, I was a person, with her own thoughts and ideas, and the ones in my head right now? They were good. Really good. Enough to shake our dear sheriff to his core. At least I hoped so.

"And how are we going to do that?" John asked. Will watched me with his trusting eyes, waiting for me. He had always been like that. Not caring that I was a girl, at least, not when it came to following and believing in me. Of course he cared when it came to other matters. God, thinking of that would only make me blush. Why was I even shy about sex? It was just a thing, a natural thing then men did with their women. But we...we hadn't. He hadn't pressured me. I knew as a nobleman's daughter, I would still be a virgin until our wedding night. But as a peasant? I could be cranking out babies right now, not waiting to get married. I didn't want babies, not yet at least, but I wasn't sure what was stopping me from completely BEING with Will.

I shook my head. It was definitely not the time to think about things like that. "We've been stealing from nobles, but we obviously haven't been doing enough of it, because the sheriff doesn't know who we are, or why we do it. It's time he found out."

Will shook his head. "Scar, if we do that, they'll hang our pretty necks, one by one. And even if we can stay hidden, they'll go after our families."

It was a good thing I was one step ahead of him. He could see it in my grin.

"Yeah, I thought of that. And then, I thought, well, who is the newest person of the group? The person who, unfortunately, has no family to protect and that the sheriff is already afraid of? The sheriff knows he has no way of controlling Robin, not after taking his lands away. And when we went to town today, Matthew said that the Sheriff is afraid of what he could do. So we make his fears a reality. We make sure Robins name is on everyone's lips."

Robin tapped his fingers on his legs, and everyone else was quiet, still processing what I had just said. It wasn't much of a plan yet, not really, but it was the beginning of one. Robin would be someone that the people could rally around. Someone that they could look up to, someone who would give them hope. He was their Lord, whether he held the title officially or not.

"What would you have me do?" he asked. Now they all looked to him, surprised.

"You'll be someone for the people to look to. We started this a long time ago, but we are silent, going from town to town, giving what we can. Yes, we're doing good, but we're just that. Anonymous. And that's how we've wanted it. But you... you won't be. People will know who you are. EVERYONE will know who you are. You're already a hero. Now you'll show them that."

He let out a long breath. "Alright. If everyone agrees, we'll do this."

"It's going to be slow," I said. "This is only the beginning. Right now, having you out there will be enough to scare him. He'll put a price on your head, and the people will ignore it. Maybe 10, 15 crowns. He doesn't know the people like we do, and we'll use that to our advantage."

Now the rest of them were nodding. "Let's do this," Much said. Allan stopped nodding, studying me.

"You really think scaring him will make a difference?"

I straightened my back. "We're not stopping there. Scaring him isn't enough. We're not stopping until our King comes home. At least I'm not. If King Richard were here, and seeing how his people are treated, he would do something."

Robin took over for me. "Yes he would. And since he's not here, it's up to us to make sure this injustice ends." He looked at me in a way that made me feel strange, like he was seeing right through me and I looked away, squeezing Will's hand.

"Are we all in?"

Will smirked. "Let's send the sheriff running for the hills."

"Aye. We're all bloody in." John swung his staff, grinning like I had never seen him before.

"Before we get started, we need a name for you, Robin. Just Robin won't do."

Much tilted his head. "Something to raise the spirits of the people, and scare the nobles and the sheriff."

Allan nodded. "How about something simple? Like... Robin of the Wood?"

I made a face. "Robin of the Wood? Not very catchy. Or scary."

"No, but it's close. Close to what we want. Robin of the Hood?" Will suggested.

John muttered to himself "Robin of the... Robin of the..." he looked up. "Get rid of the of the. Robin Hood."

I grinned. "Robin Hood."

Much smiled brightly. "Robin Hood."

"Robin Hood." Everyone but Robin stood up, and we all held our fists in the air. "Robin Hood!" We all looked to Robin.

"Well?" I asked. "It'll be your name."

"Robin Hood it is."

The next few days were spent going from town to town, quickly and quietly. Robin stayed in the camp, fletching and making arrows. Will, Robin and I would need a lot of those in the coming days. The rest of us split up, whispering in peoples ears, putting the name Robin Hood into the mouths and hearts. With the whispers came money, or food. And that food came from Robin Hood. It was only a matter of time before the sheriff heard of it.

And the day he did... we knew there would be hell to pay, and we were glad for it. It was only the beginning.

A/N

I'm so sorry it took so long! I have no excuse besides laziness, but here's a new chapter. And there will be another one by next weekend!