iv. skeleton party

Start from the beginning

'Like the lighthouse?'

'That was my first thought, but no. It was my great-great-great-great grandmother's maiden name. Here she lies and all that bullshit. I think my dad left something here for me.'

Maelynn nodded. 'Okay. Thank you for the catch-up and inclusion. Let's have a peek around.'

Everyone else smiled and started to look, spreading around. Maelynn bent down near the crypt and started to poke around in the grass for a clue. There was a slight rustling, and suddenly a snake popped out from under her hand. She screamed and jumped back, colliding with a strong chest. Someone held her upper arms and staggered back. 

'What?' Kiara asked as she rushed over. 'What is it?'

'There was a snake,' Maelynn said. 'It just spooked me.'

'Oh, god. Is it still there?'

'I don't wanna look.'

The person holding her started to bark. JJ. Oh lord. 

'Why are you barking?' she asked as she turned out of his grasp. He smiled. 

'Moccasins don't like dogs,' he replied. 'And you're welcome for catching you.'

'Yeah, thanks.'

He started barking again, only stopping when both Pope and John B started shushing him. Kiara and Maelynn just smiled slightly and kept on searching the crypt. 

'Can't get the freaking door open,' Maelynn grunted. Kiara looked put out before reaching for something on the wall. 'What's that?'

'A hole. Think I can fit?'

Maelynn stepped back to look at it. 'Yeah, probably. Gonna try?'

'Absolutely.'

'JJ, can Kie over here get a boost?'

The boys all came over. John B crossed his arms over his chest. 'Please tell me you're not going to climb through that hole up there.'

'I am.'

JJ stood next to Kiara and put his hands out. 'Alrighty. Step here, then I'll boost you up.'

Maelynn held her hand out for balance, giving Kiara a smile as she took it and jumped up to meet the wall. JJ grunted a little as she pushed off of his hands and landed halfway into the hole, her legs dangling out. 

'You okay?' Maelynn asked loudly. 

'Fine!' Kiara shouted back. Maelynn sighed audibly and slumped back on the crypt wall. 

'When I wished for more excitement, this is not  what I meant,' she whispered to herself. Beside her, John B chuckled. 'Did you hear that?'

'Sure did.'

'Whoops.'

He waved her off for the second time that night. 'I'm sure all of you kooks wish for something more to do than golf, or boat, or just sit around and enjoy actually having power and food.'

'Uh...'

'Sorry,' he shook his head out and passed a hand over his face. 'I'm not in the best mood, what with your dad firing me and all.'

'Sorry about that, by the way,' she cringed. 'But, you know, it wasn't Sarah who-'

'Oh my God!' Kiara called from inside the crypt. Everyone jumped up and rushed over. 'There's something here!'