02

My life wouldn't be this kind of a hassle when I didn't change names.

I was already thirty minutes waiting on queue in the grocery. My stomach was already grumbling ten minutes ago, but I cannot afford not to wait. I looked again at the empty prestige lane beside me and sighed. As much as I wanted to line up there, I can't use an ID to support my identity.

I am living by the name Sherice Gamboa or just plain Sher, a daughter out of wedlock, just so I can explain where the cash was coming from since I do not work. Everything else went by the name Catalina Patricia Sherice Fuentes or Catalina Patricia Fuentes, because the first one's too long. I don't own anything under my name. Everything's paid in cash. I can't even drive a car because I can't risk anything.

Fortunately, the line moved and I was able to eat a hearty breakfast after.

Celia's calling me for the 36th time today. I was avoiding her calls for a week already because I know what her piece would be. I was afraid I'll cave in.

The ringtone ended, and a message beeped right after.

I'm outside.

My eyes widened upon reading Celia's message and jumped off my bed. I never heard knocks not even a door bell. I halted from walking. Was it possible that Celia's only bluffing? But she's never the type. My heart was racing loud when I turned the knob.

"Miss me?" Celia Alexandra Ramirez in her loose shirt, yoga pants and black cap smiled at me.

"Of course, dummy." I enveloped her for a big tight hug and escorted her inside the unit.

I arranged a bottle of water for me and a glass of orange glass for Celia. She's inside my room rummaging my things.

"For Pete's sake, Kata! What are inside of your closet?"

I rolled my eyes as I handed her glass. She mumbled a thanks and continued her raid.

"Did you fucking run out of money? Because I can arrange it for you. Your closet is so...."

Before she could complete her sentence, I cut her off. "Says the one dressed in yoga pants."

Celia raised a brow. "This is me making you a favor."

I giggled. I miss her.

We spent the whole day like the old times, like I didn't avoid her for a week. I can't remember a day Celia and I are away with each other. When her family are on trips, I'll tag along. When mine does, she tags too.

"Are you fine living like this?"

"You sound like I'm living like a criminal," I chuckled. Actually, uneasy with how the conversation is going where I don't like to.

"Aren't you?"

I sighed. "Celia, if it's about George..."

"This isn't just about George, Kata. This is all about you."

I bit my lips, unable to speak.

"And since you've already opened up about George. God, please, Kata. Save the woman out of her misery. She's gone nuts for the past three years. I can no longer watch her blame herself for something she has no control over. I'm at the verge of telling her the truth."

Celia held my hand, squeezing it gently. "I know and understand where you are coming from. But she's George, she's practically family. She'll understand."

"No. George won't understand," I said in a subtle manner. "She won't forgive me, Celia."

"What do you mean?"