CHAPTER 6: THE WISH'S COST

Start from the beginning

"We were worried when you didn't make it back...So did you spend the night with her last night? It was a pain in the ass to stop Li'l E from dashing out once she started shouting. And then I had to look after our fox, who just straight-up fainted..."

He seems almost scared of what might happen if Lilly finds out I'm here, but I cut him off.

"I'm really sorry! But did Syr come back here?! She disappeared, and I can't find her!"

He blinks several times, and seeing how flustered I am, his expression turns serious.

"Just calm down. Let's head over there, and I'll listen to what happened."

In the narrow alley next to The Benevolent Mistress, Welf leans against the wall as I outline what had happened last night and this morning.

"You were chased by Freya Familia, and when you woke up, she was gone. Huh..."

"Mm-hmm. I'm worried that they might have taken her away somewhere..." I can't shake my unease.

Welf unfolds his arms.

"Sorry, Bell, but I need to ask something first."

"Eh?"

He looks me straight in the eyes.

"What are you going to do if you find her?"

At first, I don't know what he means.

"What do you...?"

"It's not like I'm a genius when it comes to the finer points of understanding women...but there's no mistaking that that girl likes you."

"...!"

"And not as a friend. As a man."

I gulp as Welf's expression hardens and his tone grows fierce.

"So tell me now, what are you going to do after you find her? Are you going to play dumb and just try to make everything go back to normal? Even I know it's cruel to not respond to her feelings."

"...H-how could...someone like me...?"

"How could she fall in love with someone like you? Are you really going to give me that?"

Welf refuses to let me run away from reality. His eyes are clearly saying, "You've already realized it yourself, haven't you?"

"If you're going to play dumb about it after everything that's happened, then you're definitely not the man I thought you were."

My eyes flicker. I'm not blaming him, but it does feel like he's pummeling my heart with a battering ram.

...Of course I noticed.

I kept telling myself to not be conceited...that it would be unbearably embarrassing if it was all just a misunderstanding on my part. I did my best to convince myself and to lie to myself about it. But I had been hazily aware of it during the date yesterday, and then unmistakably later that night. I had learned how she truly felt. I heard her say that she loves me.

There's no way to let it stay vague and ambiguous anymore.

I have nothing to say as I look down.

"It's not a bad thing to be humble. And I can understand stopping dead in the water because you aren't sure of yourself. But...don't lie to yourself. And don't leave her hanging like that."

"..."

"The most obvious reason for her being gone in the morning is that she's given up on you."

It's pathetic, but I can't even respond. And having said that much, Welf slowly sighs.

"...If you're like this now, it's gonna be rough for all the people who fall for you."