CHAPTER 2: A TEARFUL AND PAINFUL FESTIVAL EVE

Start from the beginning

Standing before me is the kidnapper(?) himself.

He's wearing black combat gear that completely covers his entire body, which only highlights the white cloth tied around his waist and the white cape on his back, both embroidered with gold. His outfit seems more suited to a mage than a rough-and-tumble adventurer, or maybe even a cleric in formal attire for a festival. And his limbs are incredibly slender. It's hard to believe he lifted me up single-handedly.

But what catches my attention most are the elven ears peeking out from his long blond hair. His well-proportioned, scholarly face is unmistakably that of an elf.

"Y-you're...?!"

I'm on the verge of yelling, my mouth sputtering like mad as he adjusts his glasses, staring down at me all the while.

"Don't make a fuss. If you shout, I'll crush your throat."

My throat?!

I turn pale, realizing that isn't an idle threat. He could really do it.

I start to tremble like a cornered rabbit under his gaze.

"I'm taking you away now. You have no right to object," he explains simply.

It is such an extreme statement that I don't know how to respond.

That's just a natural reaction, though. In Orario, this man is undoubtedly top class when it came to strength.

Even I know his face.

"H-Hedin Selrand..."

Also known as Hildsleif—one of Freya Familia's first-tier adventurers!

I've been kidnapped—or at least pulled along so fast that normal people wouldn't be able to keep up—to a place surprisingly close to Hestia Familia's current home.

We're currently in the sixth district in the southwest quarter.

More specifically, we're sitting inside the chic Wish Café, located at the corner of a complex bottleneck.

"The black tea here is delicious. I come here often in my free time."

Hedin, the first-tier adventurer who brought me here, is holding his teacup and sipping at his warm tea elegantly, as if there's nothing amiss.

"Best of all, I've become well acquainted with the owner. It is far more accommodating than noisier, less refined venues. Take now, for instance."

The café has been completely cleared out, leaving just Hedin and me and the bespectacled elven proprietor behind the counter who seems to be reading a book without a care in the world. As if what is going on between us is of no concern to him. The CLOSED FOR BUSINESS sign had been out on the door even before we entered the shop, so maybe this is all according to plan.

The interior is on the small side, but it's tastefully decorated, with flowers and plants placed all around. Many thick, complicated-looking books spill from the wooden shelves lining the walls. The building itself is wood as well, lending the space an atmosphere that many elves would appreciate.

The truth is, I've been here once—no, twice before. The first time was with Hermes and Mikoto to talk about buying Haruhime's freedom. And the second time was when Finn had sounded me out about proposing to Lilly.

Unlike either of those visits, I'm more tense than I've ever been before. The reason is obvious, I guess. One of the strongest adventurers in the city with whom I've basically never really spoken before dragged me here under the threat of violence.

"U-ummm...so what business did you have with me...?" I ask nervously, my tongue threatening to trip over itself.

Sitting across the beautifully crafted table, Hedin sets his teacup down on a saucer and fixes his coral-red eyes on me.