CHAPTER 1: A STORMY LOVE LETTER

Start from the beginning

Most would probably consider that a questionable source, and it might be right to just laugh off the name Valdstejn as a figment of my grandfather's imagination.

But...

...I really don't think that was just something Gramps made up.

What are the chances he invented a tale to amuse me that also just so happens to line up perfectly with Orario's actual history? Is that truly coincidence?

I don't really have anything to go on other than gut instinct, though.

Is Aiz the descendant of a hero...?

It isn't that shocking an idea for anyone who knows her. If anything, it makes a lot of sense. Not too much of a leap that the girl known as Orario's strongest warrior might be connected to the great heroes of old.

But something feels off. I can't really nail down why.

The expression I saw on her face that morning as she placed the flowers in front of Albert's grave didn't seem very much like someone visiting the grave of a distant ancestor.

What is this confusion in my heart? What answer am I really looking for here?

And also Albert's final...

The path he took in the legends, the great deed the Mercenary King had accomplished was—

"—? Is someone out front?"

The sound of the doorbell interrupts my thoughts.

It's coming from the entrance. We have a guest.

I peer out the library window just in time to hear an "Eep!" and see Haruhime's tail fluttering in a panic. It looks like she has her hands full hanging the laundry, so I close my book and leave the library. I run through the hallway facing the courtyard and say, "I'll get it!" as I wave at Haruhime, who bows politely.

Lilly and the others are also home, but I reach the door first.

"Just a moment," I call out as the bell rings again.

I open the door.

My eyes shoot open, and for a second, I don't know what to say.

On the other side of the door is a beautiful girl who I don't recognize.

The long hair covering the right side of her face looks ashen, as if all color has drained away from it. Her left eye is pure black, like it had been filled with darkness. But neither detract from her beauty. Her dress is a black that perfectly matches her eye and reveals almost no skin. The outfit practically makes her seem like a witch's apprentice.

She's human and definitely older than me, though we're around the same height. And hidden behind her hair is an expressionless, almost doll-like face.

But...what is this feeling?

Her gaze is ice cold. Actually, I might even call it hostile...

"Bell Cranell."

"Y-yes?...Um, do you know me?" I ask, surprised to be called by name by someone I've never met before.

"It's rather impossible for anyone who spends time in Orario to avoid hearing the name of the record holder, no matter how much one might want to. Have the decency to recognize just how widespread your ear-grating fame has become. And that oafish face of yours is infuriating as well," she coolly fires back.

"Ack?!"

My cluelessness is clearly showing because she made sure to point it out specifically.

We literally just met, but she's already giving me a mouthful and looking at me like I'm the grimiest rabbit!