Chapter Two: Jennifer

Three months before the night of Eleanor's birthday, the coming out ceremony for the debutantes was hosted at her dear cousin's home, Buckingham Palace. Eleanor's mother, Feodora, stood behind her dearest sister, Queen Victoria. A bitter taste lied in Eleanor's mouth at the Queen, one that shall not be said aloud, for fear of a family scandal. Eleanor wanted a title of Princess, like the Queen's five daughters, but she could not be granted one.

Men from Parliament stood behind and around the king and queen's throne. Eleanor's two older brother's, Andrew, and Robert, stood next to her behind their mother. Every moment any of them moved or shuffled around, their pins and badges clucked and banged on each other. She It was a struggle to resist the urge to fall over or sit down in a chair.

A footman read out the name of the last debutante being presented. Eleanor put on her best smile and posture, excited for the presentations to come to a closure. Over the past four days, close to two-hundred girls walked down the aisle of the throne room to be presented to the monarch.

"Miss Jennifer Griffiths, presented by her sister, Countess Margaret."

Two footmen dressed in red suits and white wigs opened the door. Another lady stepped inside, her confident gaze to the crowd separating herself from others. A feather hat sat on top of her jet-black hair, waving back and forth with each stride. The long train of Jennifer's dress bundled in Margaret's hand to prevent contacting the delicate carpet.

Jennifer got down on two knees in front of the King and Queen, lifting her head up to smile. The king and queen gave her their hand, as to which Jennifer kissed each.

She stood up, backing away and walking to the other debutantes. The crowd of family's and dukes all separated into private conversations. Eleanor stood in front of her eldest brother, Robert, who's blood in his eyes had been sucked out by a snake.

"Brother?" asked she.

"Hm?" He scurried off the carpeted platform. Eleanor sped to catch him, stopping him in his course by stepping in front of him.

"Will you escort me to William?" He did nothing but answer the question. Instead, Robert fetched his pocket watch from his waistcoat. "Brother? Will you escort me to William?" repeated Eleanor, her eyesight still waiting for Robert to at least look at her.

"I am afraid not. Bessie needs me at this hour. Like always," said Robert, sighing and putting his hands on his hips. "You must not be like her when you are married, do you understand? Bratty, whiny, moody, and dependent on one's husband are never good qualities of a wife."

Eleanor looked around for William before coming back to Robert. Oh, how such a fool Robert tended to be sometimes! Did he forget that his wife carried his son and daughter, and soon to be another child?

People pushed around Eleanor as if her flesh turned to air.

"Ask Andrew to, perhaps?"

He put his pocket watch back and got out his glasses. "Visit my dear children in the nursery sometime, will you? They are a handful to deal with at times. Those nannies ought to get a talking to before they see no job. I swear my little Georgie is more bratty than usual..." And with that, he walked out into the crowd of people.

A tap on the shoulder instructed her to turn around. Alas, it was he! The frizzled and wavy yellow hair separated him from the old greying men surrounding them. Eleanor loved the prominent and infinite eye contact William made whenever they stood together.

"Can I fill your innocent mind with a secret Miss Saalfield?" He connected one hand to his back and the other in front of him, leading Eleanor for a walk around the throne room.

"I would love to, yes," said Eleanor. "But it depends on how impure it is, Mr. Thompson."

"I did no deed to pay attention to the ceremony. But instead, you. You dazzled up there, Nella," said William, stopping at the platform.

"Even the last lady? I can see her fit in here at court."

William shook his head, nearly frowning at the doubt Eleanor had. "Of course not."

"Thank you, Willie." She brought her smile up to her eyes. He reached for her hand to kiss before backing away and talking to a nobleman.

"Shall you inform him?" Kittie asked, fanning Eleanor.

Eleanor could not unfix her sight on her dearest William speaking to Jennifer. Breezes of re-used air cycled to Eleanor, her hair sticking up with it. "No, Kittie..."

"Nay!" Alice said. "You surely cannot be that sure of anything before you talk. I can escort you to him."

So, the pair went, Alice linking her arm into Eleanor's. Alice took Eleanor's place in waving to people around her. Eleanor knew how much William cared for her—or at least how much he told her he did. But why did he not try to make one conversation with her all night?

The visits William and his family had to the Saalfield estate, gifted to Mrs. Saalfield by the Queen, lessened each week. He didn't lose interest, did he?

"Nella!" William said, giving his whiskey to a butler next to him. He bent down to wait for Eleanor's hand, but she refused to extend it for him.

"Alice, you may leave. Thank you."

Eleanor squeezed Alice's hand behind, drifting to her lips that read good luck. William set his spine straight, returning his hands behind his back. He cleared his throat and waited for Eleanor to speak.

"The night is almost over," said Eleanor.

"Yes, I know—um." He rubbed his teeth on his bottom lip, avoiding eye contact. "It went by quick, did it not?"

"May we enter in a space that gifts us privacy? This corner is no fit for me."

"I would love to, Nella. But I am waiting for someone to return." William fixed his tailcoat button and pushed his leg out.

"Our courtship is to be announced by our parent's tonight. I feel that you have had no time for me lately. Received have I wishes from your mama, papa, brother, yet none from you."

He shifted the gaze off Eleanor, glancing back and forth at the refreshment room.

"Nay, for that is not true," he said, acted as if he was offended, "I said happy wishes before the ball, did I not?" He picked up the whiskey again.
Eleanor thought to walk away and return to her friends, but the breeze of someone behind drifted her from leaving, for it was Jennifer. Her dark hair did not mix well with the pastel yellow of her gown. For Eleanor was appalled, her eyes bulging at the lack of care and etiquette Jennifer had.

"My lady! It is lovely to meet your acquaintance," said Jennifer, dipping into a quarter curtsey. Eleanor pretended not to notice her, for introducing yourself to one of higher class was not acceptable in society.

"Willie--" said she.

"Liam!" Jennifer swifted over to him, twirling around the curls of her ringlets. Oh, how frivolous she was to use his nickname! For Eleanor did not want to show negative emotion upon herself, she stepped back to allow them to converse.

"Eleanor!" said he, "Eleanor..."

But she could not bother to pretend to smile and enjoy his company. She did not want to enjoy his company, either. Oh! But she wanted to...she desired to! He was the man that his parents oh so loved and set him up to be her husband. She could not leave him like that!