zero

WARS DON'T BRING LASTING PEACE,
ONLY LASTING DEATH
JANET MORRIS

"THIS WAY!" Oliver Wood shouted as he flew his broom into the grounds of Hogwarts with some familiar faces behind him, Angelina Johnson (one heck off a chaser) had informed him via owl that some coin had burned her fingers with. After that, he had been quick to tell it further to some of his friends from Hogwarts, some from the quidditch community he had become a part of.

They needed all the back-up possible. Not only to save the school they all loved dearly― but to finally win this war that had been here for seven years

The sight of the school he loved almost made him vomit. Every object set there had catched fire, was broken, or was just left out. People were spread around the yard he ran through in his teen years, instead of them laughing off excitement going to Hogsmeade they were shouting curses and hexes at each other.

It was weird to see people run out of fear at a school where people with magic were going to feel safe and learn how to control their powers.

It would've been normal to run out of excitement here at Hogwarts.

Oliver's feet hit the ground somewhere with Hagrid's hut, if it wasn't for his Quidditch reflexes he would've been flat as a pancake when a gigantic troll went towards the grounds.

"All right, c'mon!" Oliver shouted, gripping his wand and going behind the troll. The other's in the crowd that had graduated some time ago, copied his movements.

They were met by Death Eaters, they were throwing curses at them, they threw kinder curses back. It was black magic against magic they had learned. "Petrificus Totalus!" Angelina shouted at a Death Eater, they froze and immediately fell down onto the ground.

"Nice one, Angie!" Alicia Spinnet― who had just stunned one― commented, kicking her foot up at a male Death Eater neariny while on the try off a back attack, he doubled up from pain with a groan. Every Death Deater passed out after five minutes, and the group went more towards the castle.

They managed to dodge some curses, but Charlie Weasley struggled from a laughing charm, which was quite un-pleasing as they were in the middle of a war. It left Oliver wondering why they had done that charm on second year level, perhaps they were going easy in the start and then would suddenly shout every bad curse they knew.

Battling the Death Eaters on their way into the castle was exhausting, it wasn't the easiest thing when Protego, Expelliarmus and Stupify did not sound like words anymore because of the amount of times it had been spoken in under one hour.

It almost seemed like it just came more and more Death Eaters each time they got stunned, frozen, or in pain. But each time the curses got worse. "Protego!" Charlie shouted between laughter. "Stupefy!" he shouted at the Death Eater, again in between laughter.

"Alright, we're gonna give you the counter curse," Alicia said, doing a movement with her wand and Charlie didn't constantly laugh anymore. While they were busy going towards the castle, Oliver's heart beat faster. He swallowed hard, they had reached the inside, it was so different from usual.

The lightning was dull, the best source of light was from the light of the spells, aif not it would have been completely dark. A shiver ran through Oliver, his wand was out and ready to fight if needed, again, he swallowed hard.

He suddenly heard a voice, shouting; "Ad somnum sempiternum!"

It felt like he fell asleep, he collapsed. His wand fell out from his hand and went to the floor, he had fallen down to someone's feet. A gasp rose up and sounded so small in the castle filled with shouting people.

Oliver got carried into a safer spot by his friends by his feet and hands. He ended up in the wrecked Great Hall, all the stone's had been thrown into one place. There, he laid, not moving at all.

The people who had witnessed this thought that it was a newer version of the killing curse, but they were not sure. Poppy Pomfrey was confused herself and ended up sending him to St. Mungos, they tried everything they legally could and their theory was true.

Oliver Wood had tragically died at the young age of twenty-two.

✧ ✦ ✧

MRS. WOOD cried into her husband's arms at the grave that belonged to her only son. They had attended Oliver's funeral with all remaining strength left in them after the new's of his death caused by dark magic.

"C'mon, let's go," Mr. Wood said as he took his wife's hand, her eyes were sprung with tears as they walked away from the grave and apperated back to their home.

Mrs. Wood knitted in her arm-chair. June had entered with much heartbreak with Oliver's death, she sniffed while creating a new mask with her knitting sticks in her grip. She knitted her way through the year till nineteen ninety-nine.

Thankfully, his body had not been burned since everyone had been left unaware of one thing, he had a really weak pulse that none was aware of.

AUTHOR'S NOTE !

okay, so ad somnum sempiternum, is my own spell created for this fic. from latin to english it means to forever sleep. possible latin-speekers, correct me if I'm wrong.
do I have chapter one written? no. did I just give myself work? yes.