Chapter 2

I knock on the door. I wait for a response while contemplating about what to say to Jack when I see him. If he was really trying to change things, he must be having a hard time with his father's reputation and Dean's demotivating remarks. One couldn't really blame Dean though, could they? He had been through some tough things because of Lucifer too. It was really a weird situation to be in.

But I had to believe. I had to hope.

There was no response for a long time. Panic started to swell in my throat but I pushed it down. Sam had told me that Jack was not used to the human things yet. Maybe he just didn't know that he had to shout for me to come in.

"I'm coming in, Jack. Okay?" I said aloud as I pushed his door open. Relief washed over me as I saw him sitting on his bed turning his head up to look at me. "Hey" I smiled at him. "I knocked."

"Oh I didn't hear you I'm sorry. I was just-" He looked back down at the floor. "-lost in my thoughts I guess."

"Yeah it's okay" I reassured him. "I just wanted to make the point that I didn't barge in or something." I laughed awkwardly and sat down next to him.

Socialising was hard.

"I'm y/n" I continued. "I've been friends with Sam and Dean for a long time now. They told me all about you. Welcome to the team."

"Then they probably told you about my father too." He replied.

I paused for while and then spoke, choosing my words carefully, "Hey Jack, I'm sorry that you have to go through this but, you know something? It'll be okay. Dean, he can be a little rough in the beginning but he'll warm up after some time. It's not your fault for being in this position after all. And remember, you choose who you want to be."

Jack looked up at me. "How do you know it will be okay?"

"Because I believe, Jack" I smiled. "Because I believe in you. Sam has put his trust in you, I don't see any reason why I should be reluctant to. Especially after seeing that you're trying to be good as well."

"But Dean, he-" He stopped, unable to continue.

"You can change his mind someday, you know."

"How??"

"By showing him that all in you is not bad." I got up, it was getting late. I needed to go to sleep. "He appreciates effort, Jack. And I'm sure if you show that you can do good, that what Sam and I believe in is true, he will start believing too." I turned to him and smiled again. "Everything will be alright okay?"

"Okay."

"Goodnight, Jack."

"Goodnight."

***

"So you want me to stay back?" I replied to Sam.

"Yes, well we can't leave Jack alone here. I mean its not like I don't trust him to stay, its just-"

"I get it." I cut him off. "Stay and take care of him, see to it that he is successful in that pencil picking up thing of yours."

"Yes, that." He picked up his bag. "You could use some rest too you know."

"Sam, all I have been doing these days is resting."

"That's- that's not entirely true-"

"Well I mean kinda, yes, but-"

"Stop being so hard on yourself kid." Dean came up from behind and patted my head. "We all know what your little break was about. You hunt to get your mind off things."