Chapter 12 - New Year's Tournament Begins!

Start from the beginning

He crouched down in front of me and carries me on his back up into the stands.

Jyugo: "Are you still sulking back there?"

Jinx: "No......... a little... I mean, what if there is a totally safe event I can do? We won't know until they announce them, right?"

Jyugo: "Then, and only then, we will see."

I giggle with excitement and hugged him.

Jinx: "Thanks, Jyugo!"

He smiled. We continued up to the stands and the five of us sat next to Hajime who looked like he was having mixed thoughts about cell 13 being the selected team.

Samon: "Sup, Hajime! I hear your building's getting represented by cell 13! My condolences in advance for the loss."

Hajime: "Say what?"

Samon: "I'm not sure you're familiar with my cell 8 yet, but you will be when I destroy you in the tournament."

Hajime: "I don't care if I win this year, but I damn sure won't lose to the likes of you!"

Jinx: "The tension is so thick, a knife wouldn't be strong enough to cut it."

The Boys: "Mhm..."

Samon: "What?! You have a little girl?! HA! You might as well quit now, Hajime. This tournament is no place for tiny children."

Hajime: "She may be small, monkey ass, but she's not totally useless!"

Jinx: "You mean that, Hajime?"

Hajime: "Hush, 33!"

Jinx: "Right..."

Kiji: "My goodness... You boys are always so aggressive towards one another. Behave yourselves please. My cell 6 is accustomed to class."

I turned and whispered to Nico.

Jinx: "I thought there weren't any woman guards here..."

Nico: "There's not. That's building 3's supervisor. He's a guy..."

Jinx: "Oops..."

Nico: "Don't worry, I got confused the first time too."

Samon: "Couldn't quite catch that over your perfume."

Kiji: "If you think it might be helpful, I would gladly fill your nostrils with cement."

Kenshirou: "Put an end to this threatening banter at once, both of you. It's disgraceful."

Samon: "Stop pretending that you're better than us somehow, you pompous mutt!"

Kiji: "There's only one inmate in cell 10 of building 4, correct? Must be frustrating to know you've lost so soon."

Kenshirou: "That remains to be seen. But you aren't my foe."

Rock: "A monkey, a dog and a pheasant."

Nico: "Pretty freaky bunch."

Jyugo: "They're all just cronies."

I giggled.

Kiji & Samon: "Who are you calling a crony?!"

Mitsuru: "Happy []ing New Year, you [] [] []!"

Jinx: "Huh...?"

The Boys: "Don't repeat that!!!"

Mitsuru: "I hope you're ready because this party's about to kick off! My name's Mitsuru and I'll be taking care of the play by play commentary! To win the tournament, one building will have to advance through five different competitions! Inmates, guards! We do recommend that you all work together! That is, if you intend to become the CHAMPION!!!!"

Yamato: "Hahahaha! Mitsuru appears to be as spirited as ever, doesn't he?"

Hajime: "Any more spirit and I'll end up deaf."

Mitsuru: "AND NOW TO ANOUNCE OUR FIRST EVENT... CALLIGRAPHY!!! Hahaha!! Surprise!! Your prompt is 'Happy New Year'!! Whoever displays the best kakizome will win this round!!"

Uno, Rock & Nico: "But... there's no way we can write that!"

Uno: "No, we're fine as long as we have Jyugo with us."

Nico: "He'll pull us through!"

Rock: "A Japanese native can do this easy!"

Jinx: "Jyugo!"

The four of them looked down at me.

Jinx: "You promised!"

Jyugo: "I... don't remember saying the word promise-"

Nico: "Jinx, you don't know Japanese."

Jinx: "Maybe not, but I can read and write. Read the banner, write what I see!"

Jyugo: "Jinx-"

Jinx: "When did the prison guards teach you to write, Jyugo? Huh?! Do tell...!"

Jyugo: "Uh-"

Jinx: "That's what I thought. This event was made for me!"

Uno: "She's definitely determined..."

Rock: "And she can't get seriously injured from calligraphy..."

Jyugo placed his hand on my shoulder and knelt down. He smiled and winked at me.

Jyugo: "Make us proud, Jinx."

I smiled wide and followed Yamato and Hajime.

Hajime: "They sent you, number 33?"

Jinx: "Never underestimate a small package, Hajime."

I felt a hard pat on my back which made me stumble a few steps forward.

Yamato: "I believe in you, number 33!!"

Jinx: "Th-thanks, Yamato... ow..."

When I were done, I wiped the sweat from my forehead and Hajime, Yamato and I held up our parchments to show three beautifully written pieces of calligraphy. You didn't need to have heightened hearing to hear my brothers cheering for me in the stands.

Mitsuru: "OH YEAH!! Building 13 shows us how it's done yet again!! And the high score goes to building 13!!"

The boys run down into the stadium and scooped me up in their arms. I laughed as they hugged me tight.

Jyugo: "That was perfect!"

Nico: "Our little sister's so talented!"

Rock: "We're so proud of you!"

Jinx: "Haha, aren't you guys getting a little overexcited?"

Uno: "No way! So, if we win this whole thing, which I know we will, what are you going to ask for?"

I winked at them.

Jinx: "It's a surprise."