31 ♔♕ 𝗹𝗼𝗼𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘂𝗽

Start from the beginning

"Rose thinks she's being funny doing this," Alex began, the softness still in his voice, "I didn't mean it earlier, I'm just pissed with her."

"You don't have to apologise for Rose."

"I'm not, I'm apologising for being rude earlier."

She really could have gone then. In fact it took a hell of a lot of self restraint to not just turn to him and say 'to hell with it, let's forget everything, start again'.

But the stubborn part of her wouldn't let herself. She couldn't concede first. Not when he started it.

No, if anyone was going to concede it would be Alex.

♔♕

The lamb had come and gone. Now it was time for pudding. Which meant she was back talking to Alex. Wonderful.

"I forgot to say earlier, pass on my congratulations to William for me won't you...I sent him a message but you know."

The wine had loosened him up it seemed. He was being friendly again.

"I will, thank you."

"You going to be a bridesmaid?"

"You know I can't give away state secrets like that." Bella teased. It was so hard not to. That was her and Alex. It was how they were together. Or how they used to be.

"You'd look stunning in one of those little flower headbands they wear."

"Don't Alex," Bella whispered, looking up at him with her bright blue eyes that were glistening slightly, "not if you don't mean it."

He nodded politely, returning back to the brandy snap in front of him.

They sat in silence for a while. Bella twirling her glass around as she thought about just what is was that she wanted.

Alex was fun. He made her laugh like no one else. And he was intelligent. They could actually have deep, intellectual conversations with each other. Most of the time it had been after rather good sex which was another tick but still, did she want that?

Because they clashed as well. They were both stubborn. And strong minded. And he was annoyingly good at scrabble.

But he could be gentle and soft too. Underneath the army hardness, the direct and confident Earl had the kindest heart.

"Care for a whiskey?" His voice drew her from her thoughts. She almost said no immediately, but then Bella turned her head and looked into the eyes of the man looking back at her. The man who as well having the kindest heart, had well and truly stolen hers.

Wordlessly, she stood, ignoring the smirk from Rose as they pushed past the guests heading out of the dining room and moved onto the balcony that looked out over the village.

He handed her his suit jacket as they stepped out, there had been a fresh snowfall that afternoon and the whole place was glistening with the twinkling lights that lit the village centre.

"I'm sorry Bella."

His words shocked her. She blinked in surprise, her gaze moving to take in his face that was looking back at her with eyes full of hope.