Chapter Fifty-Two

Zacznij od początku

"Choose your next words wisely."

I put my hands up in defense and said, "Terribly sorry. Must be a very painful memory..." before I quickly as a rattlesnake, grabbed her head and cast an illusion. Her eyes clouded over with darkness, buying me a bit of time before she would come to her senses. She fell back from me, landing in a kneel before me.

I sighed and concealed my blades once more. Valkyries were all but docile people, too aggressive for their own good. Nevertheless, it was quite amusing. I crouched down in front of her, studying her as she stared blankly. I wondered where my illusion had sent her. Perhaps she was a child again, maybe she was happily drinking mead, or best yet she was witnessing a terrible slaughter. I really hoped it was the last one and by the way shook, I was almost certain I was correct.

"Oh look at you, not so high and mighty now, aren't you," I said when suddenly her eyesnarrowed and her brows furrowed. Her eyes focussed on my with a tight glare before she suddenly attacked me once more, this time she efficiently knocked me out.

Usually, when I'm so brutally knocked out in the fashion that I was then, everything simply goes black. The light fades and I'm left with nothing to see and frankly nothing to remember. This time, it wasn't as cut and dry. As I was knocked out, I simultaneously woke up back in Asgard. Everything was eerily quiet but other than that, the palace was just how I'd left it.

I ran through the halls, opening every door and peeking into room after room to desperately find someone. Each and every hall, corridor, and chamber was deserted. There was not a soul in sight. Finally, I came across the throne room. Pushing the doors open, I saw Sigyn. Her back was turned to me as she looked out of one of the many windows. She was truly a breath of fresh air. Her shoulders glowed in the sunlight and her hair was cast a golden hue in the rays. She was wearing a black dress that completely exposed her freckled back, dropping just below her waist.

"Sigyn, oh how I've missed you," I began, grinning from ear to ear as I approached her.

"Have you?" she asked softly, still looking out onto Asgard.

"Yes! I've worked tirelessly to return home to you and well you wouldn't believe the adventure I've had," I said, putting my hand on her shoulder and turning her around.

As she faced me, my body immediately went cold and my stomach dropped. Sigyn, my wife, was absolutely devoid of her glow. Her skin was pale and littered with bruises. A cut ran from just below her eye to the crest of her jaw. Sigyn's delicate neck was bruised beyond belief and the print of a hand was engrained into her skin. Stepping back, I took it all in, horrified at the sight of her so brutally injured.

"Adventure?" she questioned, tilting her head. Sigyn smiled and scoffed lightly before turning back around, "Please, do tell me about all the fun you've been having."

"Sigyn," I stammered, stepping in front of her, "What has happened to you?"

"Don't worry about me, my love," she said gently caressing my cheek, "Let's focus on you, shall we? That's what you want isn't it?"

I blinked in disbelief. This woman who stood before me was not my Sigyn. Her voice was cold and lacking of any and all emotion. She was a robotic shell of a human and offered no substance in her words. This was no premonition, nor was it a dream. It was a nightmare.

"Loki, what's wrong?" she asked as I slowly stepped away from her.

"You are not my wife," I said soflty, shaking my head as I tried to make my way out of the throne room.

"You're so funny, dear," Sigyn said, following me. I quickly cast a spell, retsraining her to where she stood. As my magic caught her, it was almost as if she woke up. Her eyes lost their milky film and went wide with terror. Trapped in an invisible box she began to breathe raggidly.

"Loki, Loki, help me," she stammered grappling at her own neck and seemingly trying to break free from an invisible set of hands. Sigyn's face was quickly turning red as she struggled to breathe. Immediately, I rushed to her aid but found myself unable to help as a result of my own magic. 

"Loki," she choked, looking at me with eyes full of terror. I found myself frozen in place, unable to undo my spell, unable to move, and unable to talk. I was completely helpless, watching as Sigyn gasped for air and struggled to tear away from an invisible attacker. 

With one final attempt to break free, Sigyn reached out for me before abruptly her neck snapped right before my eyes. She crumpled into a heap on the floor in front of me. All the while, I could do nothing but watch. I wanted to scream cradle her in my arms, but I was tortured to just watch as the color faded from her body. As the blood began to fall from the corner of her lips, once the first drop hit the porcelain floor. I was shot awake.

What a nightmare, I thought to myself, shaking the image out of my head. Thank Odin none of that was real.