‘It’s me. Eda.’ The figure spoke, holding one of Raine’s hands in their own.

‘Oh, that’s good then.’ Raine said still feeling rather concussed.

‘My point still stands though.’ They continued as they gazed up at the beautiful witch in front of them and placed a palm on her cheek. Eda leaned into the touch, closing her eyes before taking Raine’s hand into her own and placing a soft kiss on it.

‘You took your time.’ Raine joked as Eda rubbed the back of their hand with her thumb.

Eda huffed with laughter, ‘What can I say? The traffic was hell.’

Raine laughed at that but soon found themselves regretting doing so as another shooting pain ran through their stomach, taking their breath away.

‘Come on, I got you.’ Eda said sounding concerned as she helped Raine to slowly sit up.

It took no small effort, but eventually they found themselves sitting up and leaning against a rock.

From their new sitting position, Raine finally got to see Eda fully. She wasn’t wearing the dress they bought for her, nor had she brought barrels of apple blood or even healer, but in that moment Raine realise they had everything they had ever needed and more.

Eda knelt in front of them and without realising it Raine had cupped her face in their hands again. After having a near death experience, Raine wanted to take them time to enjoy looking at their former lover again.
It was the eyes they noticed first. They were no longer brilliant amber and instead were almost black in colour, with the smallest amount of the original colouring at the centre.

Next it was the hair. It was almost the same as last time. The same colour. The same wild, untameable locks. But something about it just felt different.

Last of all, Raine saw the wings. They truly were a sight to behold. A large magnificent plumage sprouted from Eda’s back it appeared. Now, that really was different. Raine was concussed and injured but they were certain they would have remembered their ex girlfriend having wings.

‘This is different.’ Raine eventually said, gently inspecting a feather.

‘Yeah I'm kinda a harpy women now.’ Eda said, rubbing the back of her neck as she suddenly felt self-conscious. She hadn’t exactly planned on Raine seeing her new form like this.

‘You like the new look?’ Eda asked hopefully.

‘You look totally badass.’ Raine answered honestly, still reeling from the beauty of the woman in front of them.

‘It’s kinda hot.’ Raine admitted as they stared at the witch.

Eda’s eyes widened a little at that. It had been a long time since the bard had spoke to her like that and even when they were close they were never so bold with their words.

‘I've got feathers in places you wouldn't believe but I'll have to explain later.’ Eda joked, trying to take the focus away from her.

‘Well I hope I get a demonstration.’ Raine teased, causing the winged witch to blush.

Turns out nearly dying can really be a confidence booster as Raine would have never have dreamed of saying such a thing previously.

Once the initial shock wore off, Eda couldn’t help but smirk, ‘If we make it out if here we can do a whole show and tell presentation.'

Now it was the bard’s turn to turn beet red.

‘Can't wait.’ They managed to choke out as they tried to readjust their positon. They were soon stopped in their tracks however and were left wincing as the pain took over once more.

‘Easy does it Rainstorm. That potion hasn’t kicked in fully yet.’ Eda informed, worry etched on her face.
‘What did you even give me?’ Raine asked, just realising the peculiar taste in their mouth.

‘You don’t wanna know. But I guess I’m finally grateful for choosing the potions track at school.’

School. By titan, Hexside felt like eons ago. As did the start of their relationship.

‘The potion should take the edge off your injuries and stave off any infection until we can get a proper healer to see you.’ Eda explained, although at the mention of the injuries her gaze feel to the ground.

‘Eda?’

The witch looked back towards the bard.

‘How bad is it?’ They asked quietly, curious to know what they looked like. They knew it wouldn’t be pretty, judging by the quick look they managed to get of their arms and legs back in the tunnel.

‘It’s pretty bad Raine. Frankly, you look like shit.’ Eda said bluntly as she looked at the ripped clothes, the deep bruises and cuts and the large blood stain on Raine’s shirt.

‘Damn, don’t tell me my dashing good looks are gone.’ Raine joked, hoping to cheer the witch up.
It made no sense really. Raine had just been tortured but for some reason felt compelled to make sure that the other witch wasn’t upset.

Eda smiled. Clearly it had worked.

‘Nothing could take away your good looks Raindrop.’ Eda said adoringly.

‘Do you think the Emperor’s guards have noticed I’m missing yet?’ Raine questioned.

‘Probably, the distractions we put into place weren’t going to last forever. We’ll lay low here until it’s safe to go to the Owl House. We’ll have to be careful though, they might still be monitoring the place.’ Eda admitted, unconsciously scanning their surroundings at the mention of the Emperor.

‘That boy who helped to free me mentioned some distractions. What exactly did you do?’ Raine asked curiously.

‘Well I’ll spare you the details as you probably wouldn’t approve-‘

‘That sounds illegal.’ Raine interjected.

‘But it was a team effort really and it all started when we ran into the Golden Guard...’