could cry just thinkin about you

When Nishinoya Yuu is a child, he's a coward.

He's little, and there's this ever present bundle of fear and anxiety writhing around in his chest. It means he's scared, he concludes, and so he cries when he rides a bike for the first time, and then when he gets lost in the woods near his house, and then again when he comes across a dog bigger than he is.

It's strange, he begins to think, as he grows. He's sure that feeling must be his own, but sometimes he's suddenly, explicitly happy, and sometimes when he thinks he should be happy, he's so painfully sad that it aches in every fiber of his being.

When he's eight, Yuu scrapes his leg from knee to mid-shin when he falls out of a tree. The pain is the first sensation he's aware of, arm twisted awkwardly beneath him where it'd made a futile attempt to cushion his fall. Underneath it, concern spikes, bubbling with that familiar chill of anxiety. Yuu is too busy thinking about how much his arm and leg hurt to give it too much thought at the time.

Yuu is eight the first time he breaks his arm, and the cast itches so much that he's tempted to tear it off the moment it's on. Yuu is eight when he's sitting in the passenger seat of his grandfather's car, a cast on one arm and ice cream in his other hand. He thinks the scrape down his leg is going to leave a nasty scar, but it'll look cool and he can tell people whatever he wants about its origin.

"You don't seem excited about your ice cream," his grandfather remarks with a little chuckle, lips tugging up.

Yuu huffs. "I am! I'm super excited!"

He thinks he is, at least. Yuu loves ice cream, and he always gets excited when he gets it, but that tugging little concern is still nestled deep in his chest and Yuu doesn't really know what to do with it. He's so used to it, like second nature, but somehow it feels foreign nowadays.

His grandpa laughs again. "I bet your soulmate is worried about you, always causing yourself trouble like this."

Yuu stares back at him, ice cream halfway to his mouth. "Huh?"

"Your soulmate," the man says again, "everyone's got one. Not necessarily romantic, mind ya. You can feel their emotions. It's a little inconvenient sometimes, but you miss it when it's gone. You're always hurting yourself, so your soulmate is probably worried about you."

Yuu thinks about his grandmother. His memories of her are faint, at best. He'd barely been old enough to remember her face when she'd passed, but he remembers how strange his grandfather had acted after, like something was missing from the core of his being. Yuu thinks about the word soulmate . There's someone out there meant to be in his life specifically, and he's meant to be in theirs. Yuu thinks about the little bundle of emotion in his chest, and he realizes that must be his soulmate.

He hadn't thought to try and distinguish them until now, but it has him tracking his memories back as far back as he can, seeking that feeling in them all. Sure enough, the anxiety is ever present. Sometimes, it's duller than others, muffled beneath other emotions, but it's always there.

"I think my soulmate is a scaredy-cat," Yuu announces, and then shrieks when his cold ice cream drips onto his exposed knee.

His grandfather laughs, and Yuu whines as he shoves the top of the cone into his mouth in a futile attempt to save the rest of it.

When he's a child, Nishinoya Yuu is a coward. When he's eight, his grandfather tells him about soulmates , and Yuu thinks my soulmate is scared of everything. It keeps him up that night, staring at the ceiling in a way that feels too ancient for a boy his age, but he's come to a conclusion. If his soulmate is a scaredy-cat, then Yuu will just have to be the brave one for the both of them.