Susan let Gwen get her emotions under control and she looked at her. 

"I'm sorry, Gwen. I don't know what to say, except, keep your chin up. Who knows, something may happen in favor of this whole situation."

~~~

Morning had come once again and Gwen had stepped out to get some fresh air. She sat atop the ledge of the How, staring at the cloudy sky. It was funny how Narnia almost mimicked the moods of the majority of the land.  Yesterday's event still hung heavy like the clouds overhead. 

A prince had nearly kissed her. 

She had nearly kissed a prince. 

She had wanted him to. 

She groaned as she held her hands over her face. She didn't know what to do with herself. 

A rock scraped against the stone and she turned to see Caspian. 

"I am sorry, I didn't mean to intrude. I will leave." He turned around. 

"No," Gwen called. 

He turned back around. 

"You don't have to. I was just getting some fresh air. Clear my foggy brain." Gwen chuckled nervously. 

He nodded and took a seat next to her, legs dangling over the edge. 

"It's peaceful up here." 

"It is," Gwen agreed in full earnest. "I like feeling as if I'm so close to the sky. Like if you just stood on the tips of your toes, you would brush your fingertips against a cloud." 

Caspian nodded. "I wish it would lighten up. The Narnians are already depressed over losing their friends and family, they don't need the sky reflecting their emotions." 

"I agree." 

A moment of silence passed as both young people anxiously racked their brains, trying to figure out what to talk about next. 

"Gwen, I have to apologize for what happened when we got back from the castle. My outburst was...you were right; childish and unneeded. I'm sorry for you having to see that angered side of me come out."

Gwen softly smiled. "It's okay. We all make mistakes. I know I've made many. That's why my aunt and uncle don't care about me." 

Gwen gasped as she realized the words that had fallen so carelessly from her mouth. Her hand came up to her mouth, terror overflowing in her. 

"I--I'm so sorry--I--Just ignore what I said." Gwen focused on her lap, the fabric of her dress becoming quite interesting. 

"What do you mean that they don't care about you?" Caspian asked, his tone edged. 

"I...I..." Gwen's shoulders somehow sunk lower. "They don't care about me. When they took me in after my parents died, they did so out of obligation. They...they've never loved me. They're both so cruel and hateful." Gwen hoped she could swallow the lump in her throat. 

"They have not hurt you, have they?" Caspian's tone steeled and began to rise. 

"Physically? Never. Mentally and emotionally?" She sat and thought about all of the things she had endured since she had come to live with her aunt and uncle. 

The yelling. The condescending tones. The name-calling. Being put down day after day.

She gasped out a breath, realizing what had happened to her most of her life. A tear slid down her cheek. 

"Oh my gosh...Yes. Mentally and emotionally, they have. But--but, it's my fault. I'm not good enough. I--I haven't respected them enough, shown them enough love, I have to uh, make something out of myself so I'll be worth something in their eyes. I just have to show them that I am worthy of love, that I don't deserve to feel so alone day after day." Hot tears fell down her cheeks, unbidden. She ran her hands over her face. 

"Gwen, if there is anyone that deserves to be so dearly loved, that is you. You are the kindest person I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I can tell by your actions and words that you love Narnia and its people as much as Peter and his siblings do." 

Gwen took a deep breath trying to gain control of her emotions. 

"If your family is treating you this way, making you feel so unloved, why don't you leave?" 

"I can't." She looked at him. "They're paying for my schooling. That's the only other place I have to go. But, I'm going to be eighteen next year. Hopefully, I can go off on my own then. I'll finally be away from them." 

"If I could keep you here, Gwen, I would." He looked her directly in her eyes. "If I could save you from any further heartbreak and hurt, I would. I don't want you getting hurt anymore." He took her hand. 

"Why are you being so kind to me? You've barely known me for a few days." Her brow scrunched. 

"I...I feel this connection to you. I cannot help it. As soon as I saw you when we first met all of you in the woods, I felt the connection. Is it just me, or do you feel it too?" 

Gwen nodded, feeling her cheeks heat. "I don't know what it is. It's...odd."

"Yes. It is. But I don't want it to leave anytime soon. I...I don't want you to leave anytime soon."

Gwen glanced at him but then focused on. "I don't want to either." 

Silence enveloped them both as they sat together, hand in hand. 

Gwen looked up and out across the field. There, she spotted something. 

"Prince Caspian, look out there. Do you see that?" She pointed. "What is it?" 

His eyes squinted as he looked out, trying to make out what was there. "No," he whispered. He jumped up, offering Gwen his hand. "Come, we have to go get the others. It's Miraz approaching with his men."