Little Dancer

Waking up the next morning, Sibylla found herself in the herd of girls, tasked with cleaning the harem, leaving to spend the whole morning scrubbing the palace windows till they shone. throughout it all, she listened to the incessant chatter of the other girls. The girls sat eating their lunch, finally being allowed a break- once again continuing to chatter idly. However, one thing that did seem to lift her spirits slightly was the news of a presentation. The Valide had ordered a few girls to be presented and dance for the Sultan.

Stepping into her line of vision, Sibylla spotted Zehra Kalfa. Briskly and purposefully she made her way towards her, a few girls stumbling to get out of her way, her demeanour strong, with her journey beginning there was no need to remain hunch over skimming the sides of the harem. As she approached she noticed her talking to an Agha. Spearing him a smile, she shot bow to the two of them. A look of appreciation passed their eyes at the uncustomary display of respect. Clearing her throat, Zehra turned slightly facing her. " What is it hatun?".

" I hear in the evening the Sultan will be presented with entertainment" she smiled glancing between the two " I was wondering if there was a way for to be apart?"

" (scoff) Every girl wants to be apart, You think the harem would run if we gave into all their whims and requests?" Zehra questioned her voice hardening. 

" No. I'd image it would be like walking into a pride of hungry lions" she chuckled softly, "You have the power here, you need seven girls. I need one chance, a chance that could benefit the both of us. I hear Nigar Kalfa has benefited rather nicely since Hurrem's rise."

Staring at her, Zehra waved her hand " Go. Finish your food" she dismissed, turning she gave another small curtsy. Taking note of the intrigue in her eyes.

As lunch finished, the girls were quickly ushered to their respective lessons, she parted with Emily, who made her way to her literacy lesson. As she turned to leave for her duties, a hand gripped hers tugging her along. Her gaze met the side profile of Zehra.

" You have two hours to learn the dance, after you select a dress and will be guided along with the other girls to the Sultan's chamber." she instructed

" I see, thank you." she asked already knowing the answer. Pausing Kalfa turned fully facing Sibylla, who fell to a stop. 

" Don't thank me yet. Once you have the Sultan's attention you have all their attention. Hurrem Sultan she guards the Sultan...she is fire, best not get burnt. And Mahidevran is the prince mother and the Valide's favourite."

" The Sultan can not be gated by any woman. He owns us all. Even the Valide. As for Hurrem if she is fire-" leaning forward Sibylla till she was next to the Kalfa's ear "-then I am the storm that will snuff her little flame out."

Zehra stared at her, eyes blank before a small smile graced her lips." As long as you know what you're getting into."

" I do."

Stepping into the room, she was greeted by the faces of six other girls, she failed to recognise most of them. They looked her, studying the last of their competition. A clap sounded and their practice began. The dance was easily enough, by the end of the lesson the girls fell in step. The dance was just a dance, it was her delivery that matter. She couldn't be overtly sexual, so she kept to smaller movements of her hips focusing on their fluidity whilst the other shook their hips harder for emphasis. Her hands and arms extended from her body, in the manner her ballet instructor had taught her. She kept her feet light, rather then dragging them across the floor like others, she glided on the tips of her toes. Her costume that would be her main focus of attention. One thing many girls had in common in the harem was their love for bright colours and as she stood in the room she watched the girls rush for yellow, reds and purple silk dresses. Each trying to out shine the other. Sibylla had long decided her colours would be of light natural colours. White. Her eyes zeroed in on a white silk dress, it came with a velvet corset over coat. She took the dress, leaving the overcoat out, in its place she grabbed a golden multilayered metal waist chain. Her right hand would be adorned with a golden finger ring bracelet and an attached at the wrist.

The girls entered the empty bathhouse, Emily appearing seamlessly out of nowhere squealed "oh! I just heard, your gonna be dancing tonight." she halted focusing on Sibylla l who remained passive. Lowering her tone she asked, "You are happy aren't you?" 

" It is the first in a long journey. The climb will be harder, this was the easy part" Emily nodded before she nodded moving; moving to aid the other girl.

" Bring rose and sandalwood essence oil" Sibylla asked. Once they were brought forward she mixed the oils, ensuring the weren't too overpowering then the mixed was massaged into her neck, arms and chest. Strands of her hair was promptly wrapped around thick pieces of cloth. The steam would help set and create loose prominent curls.

After a while, she dried herself off before she would prune

After a while, she dried herself off before she would prune. In the anti-chamber she dress, taking a small toothbrush she coated it with a scentless oil, before brushing out her eyelashes and brows. A light red tint was applied to her lips and cheeks. Her hair was finally let down, she combed it out the curls bouncing back in place, the onyx waves glistening in the candlelight.

In line they stepping out of the bathhouse they were once again was met by the Agha. Looking at him, he was a tall man; taller than his fellow Agha's. A couple of inches higher than most people she considered taller. His head was clean-shaven, he wasn't lanky but rather bulky, his stomach slightly rounded.

" Come, we mustn't keep the Sultan waiting," his voice was low and dejected. 

"What is your name?" he blinked, not expecting the question. Most girls that lived or entered the harem never bothered to ask; referring to him simply as Agha

"Its- Halil"

" Halil" she repeated testing the name, she nodded " Shall we, like you said we don't want to keep the Sultan waiting."

On the way towards the Golden Road, as they drew closer lingered behind the other girls, wanting to be the last to enter. They reached the doors, two great oak doors ornately carved, her mind steeled, her face falling into a soft look, her lips at the corners were tweaked upwards slightly in a relaxed smile. 

To lions den she goes.