one

Weddings weren't your scene, they never had been. Too much socialisation, you were not a people person. Making small talk all day and all night with people you had never met and would probably never meet again? Ugh disgusting.

All the happy couples slow dancing while you sat there watching was just a reminder that you were lonely and single. Sure you were happy being independent and single, but at a wedding it would be nice to have someone to share the moment and the love with.

You had become a pro at avoiding weddings, purposely scheduling overtime and using 'sorry I have to work and I am unable to change my shift' as an excuse.

But you knew that one wouldn't work when it was your best friend getting married and you were the goddamn bridesmaid.

Natasha, your best friend, was marrying Steve Rogers, a tall blonde man from Brooklyn. They had met through work and clicked instantly. He was drawn to her independent and courageous attitude and the two had hit it off straight away.

Natashas adopted sister, Yelena, who you had met on a few occasions and became close friends fast with was to be the maid of honour. Despite the distance between them due to Yelena living overseas, the two had stayed extremely close.

Steve's side of the family however you had no knowledge about. Nat had only met his parents a few times, and mentioned that he had a best friend who was to be the best man, who he was so close to that he considered him to be a brother. You knew that Nat spoke to him often due to him being in their house a lot, but despite being there yourself very often, you and Steve's mystery best friend were yet to cross paths.

Steve was amazing, he was a perfect match for Nat, he was a great person and you assumed his best friend who he thought so highly of would be the same.

"It's close now, huh?" You said with a smirk, raising your wine glass to your lips and taking a sip of the scarlet liquid.

"Tell me about it." Nat sighed, mirroring your actions with the wine.

"Second thoughts?"

"No, of course not. I mean, I'm fucking terrified, but you know, whenever I see Steve I get a reminder of how much I love him and why I'm doing this."

You watched as the way Nats face lit up as she spoke about her fiancée, whether you would ever allow yourself to talk about someone like that again was unknown, but for now you were content being happy for Natasha and Steve.

"I'm so happy for you guys." You said with a grin.

Nat grinned back before her expression shifted to a smirk.

"Enough about me, what about you. Have you got a plus one for my wedding yet?"

"Oh god, no." You said with a sigh. "Definitely not."

"Oh come on, for me?"

Ha. She really thought guilt tripping you into starting to date again would work? Nice try.

"Nat, I love you, but I will not get a date, even for you."

Nat signed in defeat and refilled her wine glass and you reminded yourself that you were a strong, independent woman who didn't need to be in another relationship, no matter how nice it sounded.

You didn't need a broken heart again. Been there, done that. And it's definitely not worth it.

Your night passed like any other, girls nights were always something you looked forward too, wine, crappy Netflix shows and gossip, what's there not to love? All of the stress from work and outside life just faded as soon as you began talking to Nat. That's how you knew that you were destined to be best friends, you made each other better people.