prologue

prologue. 

"we work just as hard as hard as the gringo miners, if not harder." he complained to her over dinner after spending countless hours in the mines. antonio wasn't one to whine, but he also knew when he wasn't getting a fair treatment. on this day, maite saw there was something different about him. there was a determination in his dark brown eyes. setting the fork down on his plate abruptly when his anger was too much to let him enjoy his meal, he continued. "and we get paid half of what they do. those americans either don't know how to do basic math, or they're discriminating us."

she looked over at him from across the small table. a small candle sat in the middle, providing minimal amounts of light in their tiny home. reaching to take his hand in hers, she said soothingly. "maybe if you submit a formal complaint they'll do something about it." she made a suggestion.

of course she knew it would never be heard. the mexican miners in the area were always given the short end of the stick in the mining town of cananea. the mines were american run and they hired a majority of mexicans, for the same amount of money that they had hired only a few american miners. the americans had the luxury to decline the offer if they thought the treatment was unfair, but the families of cananea had taken the jobs out of desperation. and antonio had just about had all he could take. shaking his head, he let her know of his plans. "no, no more asking nicely without being heard. we need to take action or they'll continue to trample over our rights just like the spanish did for three hundred years." maite was a bit concerned about her husband. he was always a calm young man, but all the discrimination he had endured working in the mines had scraped away every last bit of it. now, he only thirsted for justice.

maite gasped. "a rebellion?"

he nodded, "it is our last resort. i believe god is on our side, there is no way we can lose."

-

just a little prologue for you all.

i hope you like it. thank you for reading my books. it means alot.

-clary xx