⩫Chapter 5 - "What is it?"⩫

Start from the beginning

"Come in" At my order, the door opened and revealed a maid that was accompanied with a cart filled with food. The maid came in and soon took a bow herself. Lifting the hem of her skirt with one hand, she put the other over her chest and lowered her head. 

"Good morning, Master. Breakfast is here" She greeted with a smile. I think the maid's name was Verra, she had brown hair that was neatly tied into a bun and green colored eyes behind a pair of round glasses. After her greeting she smiled at me again before setting up the table and food. Compared to the trash that Emily brought, the meal that Verra prepared was still fresh and hot. Now I can finally eat after the chaos this morning. 

▶3RD PERSON P.O.V◀

As Verra tidied up the table after the meal, she took a glance at Penelope, who was reading a book by the window. She looked quite calm as she spared some glances outside the window. After she tidied the table, Verra walked towards her master and opened her mouth to speak but before she could utter a word, a knock came from the other side of her door. Verra was just about to ask who it was before the door swung open by an old woman who didn't even wait for the other's response. 

It was the head maid. Verra couldn't help but glare at the old woman who went ahead and entered her master's room, but what could she do? she may be a trained swordsman but now she was in disguise as a maid. If she cuts down the mid-aged woman right here then it would definitely lead to unnecessary problems. In the end she held her tongue. Penelope only stared at the head maid, who seems to be unfazed by her gaze. 

"My lady, The duke has called for you" She said with a calm tone. Penelope didn't respond,  instead she turned her head to the window, purposely showing how she is ignoring the head maid. The head maid became confused by her sudden actions but still tried to press  the matter further.  

"The duke wanted to speak to you, it's about the disturbance this morning" She continued, nonetheless Penelope still stared outside the window, not even sparing her another glance. Minutes passed by and the maid became all the more flustered by her open ignorance of her presence. Verra, who stood at the same position from the beginning was quietly watching from the sidelines. 

Again, more minutes passed and Penelope had yet to move from her spot. The head maid couldn't take it anymore and hardened her tone to be more firm. 

"My lady. I suggest you stop ignoring me. The duke is already waiting for you, so it would be best follow me" She said with frowned brows. Penelope was silent for a second, but turned her head to face the head maid. The head maid smirked with satisfaction in finally gaining her 'Lady's  attention. However that satisfaction was quickly replaced with confusion. Penelope was grinning. 

'Has she finally gone mad?' The head maid questioned herself as cold sweat trickled down her forehead. Penelope was grinning with amused eyes.