⩫Chapter 1 -The beginning⩫

{ ECKART MANSION }

▶ 3rd Person P.O.V.◀

"Why was this in your room" The duke coldly asks

"huh?"

"Answer, you Rat! you stole it right?!"

"Reynold watch your mouth" As Reynold shouts, the duke warned him

Then the duke continued to interrogate Penelope, "Answer me Penelope. Why do you have Yvonne's necklace?, I am sure i have told you that you aren't allowed to enter her room."

Reynold who was still furious shouted "father , there's no need for this, i'm sure she stole it!"

"I didn't steal it! I didn't do anything like that!" Penelope shouts defending herself

it was then "I saw it" from the crowd came out the butler, budging through people.

"Fennel" The duke called out to his loyal servant. 

"I have seen lady Penelope go up and down the third floor quite often these past few weeks. When I checked, Lady Yvonne's room was open."

"what?! you old man...!" Feeling 

Everyone's gaze, including the duke's, turned to the little girl. Even Penelope couldn't ignore all these gazes treating it as if its nothings.

"It wasn't me. it really wasn't, father!, I've never entered that room!" Penelope shouted with the gaze full of affection and trust. He was the one who brought her to this place himself after all, he would believe her for sure. 'it's the truth, I just needed somewhere to hide from the evil maid, I wasn't trying to steal anything.' she thought with utmost hope. 

But that hope was completely shattered by the duke's cold gaze at the child. Chills ran down her spine, but the following words only sent more. 

"Fennel, lock all the rooms on the third floor. And seal Yvonne's room." The duke ordered

"Yes, your grace"

"And call a jeweler to visit Penelope tomorrow."

"FATHER! I REALLY...!"

Penelope froze in place, her face pale as a white sheet of paper. The duke didn't say a word to her as he left. Walking past her as if she was nothing. As if... Whatever words she has left to say are meaningless. 

"You should have gotten lost while I was still being nice about it" Reynold whispered after making sure that the duke left

"You should have gotten lost while I was still being nice about it" Reynold whispered after making sure that the duke left. Then he pushed Penelope roughly and followed the duke resulting too her falling to the ground.

"HOW DARE YOU LIE, YOU FILTHY THING" Derrick coldly muttered but enough for her to hear.  Soon they all left along with the servants, leaving the stiffend child alone with sense of betrayal. Not a single one helped her back to her feet, or even looked back at her. 

After that day, Penelope never called the duke 'father' again. 

How could she? after how her father, who had adopted her from the dirty streets and gave her a proper home after weeks of staying staying beside her decaying mother, treated her so coldly. It was the most heartbreaking moment of her life.

Each detail of that day was engraved into her memory. The whispers and murmurs of the servants, the butler's petty report, her 'Brother's' cold and disgusted gazes and her 'Father's orders. 

--End of Flashback--

"What are you thinking about?" The red haired man asks with a concerned voice

hearing the call Penelope snaps back from her daze to reality. 

"Nothing, I just remembered a bad memory" she said with a calm tone, although she new that the red head would still be curious he didn't ask anymore.

"All right, but tell me if something is up okay?"

"yes" with his question Penelope smiled knowing the man's worry for her.

The man who was sitting in-front of her was her dear childhood friend, A person who was close to her even at her darkest times. Leonardo Vermillian

He had red well kept hair and deep Brown eyes with a mole just underneath the right side. He was the 2nd son of Marquis Vermillian although he greatly resembles his father he hates him just as much, after all Leonardo was just an illegitimate child that was born a year later after his first son thankfully nobody knew the truth. 

Because the marquess lived within the country side after she gave birth to the first born due to health problems but never made it public instead they said it was for vacation, the marquis visits her only for him too look like a loving husband for the public. 

Then an incident happened resulting to a maid getting pregnant with Leonardo, the only people who new the truth was the maid, marquis and marquess. Years later when the marquis discovered Leonardo's intelligence in the field of Business and politics, he invited respected scholars and teachers to determine his talent. 

To his surprise, the very son he loathe for being illegitimate was considered a genius at the age of 12. Since then, the marquis considered Leonardo like his 'actual son' only to use his label as a 'genius' for attention, work and recognition from the Royal family.