"Yes" I said without hesitation. 

I was so damn happy.

She searched my face to see if I was lying. I was confident she'd see nothing but happiness there.

She let a small smile and turned to see Avishek towards the end of the room where he was surrounded by Ru and Vikram. He was beautiful. I know it's not the word normally associated with men but I had no other word to describe it. He was beautiful. His smile, which at the moment he was trying to hide, was beautiful. His laugh that slipped out when Ru slapped the back of Vikram's head was beautiful. The happiness visible on his face was simply just beautiful.

"I haven't seen him smiling like this in a long time" mom said, pulling me back to reality.

I said nothing because really, I had nothing to say.

"I should apologize to you both." She said sadly.

"What are you talking about" I asked.

"Avishek's grandfather was a strong man. I'm not talking about physical strength. It was the time when patriarchy was the only solution. There was no other option. Even your dad was helpless around him. I know his biggest regret in his life is how he could do nothing to help his son. I know mine is." She fell quiet.

I said nothing, giving her time to sort out her thoughts.

"Avishek pleaded us so much. When we said, he had to marry you, no matter what, the look he had on his face, I don't think I'll ever forget that" she said, her voice thick with emotion.

"After marriage, you don't know how guilty I felt, every day, every year, watching you two slip away from each other, farther away from each other every time. After some time, I accepted it was fate, the only way it was meant to me, because I guess putting the blame on fate was easier than to feel the guilt." She said, a faraway look in her eyes.

I wanted to interrupt her, saying neither her nor dad had anything to regret for, but I kept quiet, knowing I had to let her get this off her chest. I squeezed here hand, hoping to convey what I was not saying.

"I love you, Seema. I love you like I love Avishek, you two are no different to me. I'm sorry I couldn't do much to help you two. It's the biggest regret of my life." she concluded, looking at me, her eyes pleading.

"Mom, please don't say that. I know things were not okay for the most part, but I got you. And I am not saying this to lessen your guilt, which there is no need for you to feel, but I genuinely mean that. I went from a young girl who had no one to stand up for her, no one to love her to a woman who had parents to love her, who had a home to come back to, who had a family. Mom, if it weren't for my marriage to Avishek, who knows, right now I might be with someone who only saw me as a way to keep their family line going. This family has given me love, mom. So much love I forgot what it's like to be alone. You guys gave me family. I can never be mad at you for giving me that." I said, frustrated because I wanted to say so much more but couldn't find the right words.

Mom looked like she was going to break down, but she took a deep breath.

"Thank you, for making him smile again" she said at last.

I shook my head.

"No, mom. It's him who has made me happy. Really." I said, hoping she'd see the conviction in my eyes I felt in my heart.

She gave me a wobbly smile, put her hand on my hair as if blessing me and pulled me down to kiss my temple.

I went willingly, closing my eyes when tears threatened to fall.

I opened my eyes to see Avishek looking at me, concerned at our state.

I shook my head and smiled at him.

He nodded, smiled and turned back to Ru.

The rest of the night passed with my head on mom's shoulder, laughing, smiling, watching my kids and feeling happy.

Looking at Avishek dodging Payal's playful hits, I realized, I was finally happy.

I was content. 

I was with my family. 

HI guys!!! I'm back. How was your week? Mine was a bit "meh".

So, the birthday party. I honestly wanted to add more of Avishek and Seema here but knew I had to give them a little break because of the long chapter last week.  I kind of wanted to put the chapter from the parent's perspective as well because come on, we all have regrets, no one is perfect. 

Anyway, please leave a comment and vote if you enjoyed it. 

I'll be back next week. Till then be safe. 

Be happy, be healthy.