The morning after

Next morning, I woke up in my usual time, but I didn't want to get up from the bed. It was just 2 of us, it won't take that much time to make breakfast. I turned towards Avishek. He was a very disciplined sleeper. He never changed positions, never shifted noisily. Right now, he had one arm under his head, the next on his stomach. I raised my eyes to scan his face. He had really nice hair. I especially liked the way it was disheveled in morning, some of the strands falling onto his eyes. My hands itched to remove it. I never took my time to admire him like this.

Liar, my brain mocked me.

I stayed like that few more minutes, admiring him, then eventually woke up. The house was really silent. If mom and dad were here, I would have heard noise from their room, mom would come to kitchen looking for tea, dad would grumble at mom like everyday for sleeping so noisily. But I heard nothing today.

 Silence, complete silence.

I started my usual morning routine. Around 8, I got a call from mom.

"Mom, everything okay? Did you have tea? Did you have medicine?" I fired.

"Yes, mom", she sighed.

"Mom" I groaned.

"I called because I knew  you were going to be like this. Yes, we had tea, yes, I had medicine. Did you have breakfast? Where is Abhishek?"

"Yes mom. He is still sleeping."

"Still? Is he alright?" she asked worriedly.

"Yes, I guess he is tired from yesterday." I was surprised too. That man never slept for this long. I went to room earlier and stopped on my track when I saw him still sleeping. I quietly slipped out of the room, not wanting to disturb him.

"Hmm. Still, check on him once he wakes up okay. You know he doesn't tell if he is sick." Mom suggested.

"Yes, mom. Take care okay. House is really silent without you guys." I say.

"It must be peaceful without us there. You can finally enjoy your tea in silence." She jokes.

"No, mom, it's silent. I don't like it. I have no one to talk to." I pout at her.

"You have your husband there." She says.

Well, shit! I walked right into that one. I said nothing and just kept quiet.

"You guys are going to be 50 soon. It's too old to be awkward with each other. I know things haven't been that great, but maybe now things will change for good. You have to rely on each other now, it will bring you two closer. Trust me, one day you will think, us moving out was a good thing for you two."

I scoffed but stayed quiet.

She sighed and said, "I am your mom. Mom knows the best. Just wait and watch."

I shook my head but said my goodbye and hung up. Mom is crazy, how can this be good for us. If we were going to be close, it would have been already, not in our old age.

I hovered in the bedroom, contemplating on whether I should wake him up or not. It was 8:30, and he was going to be late. But he was the boss, so he could go late. But he has never been late. 

Is he really sick? Should I check? 

I went beside him; he was still sleeping in the same position. I slowly touched his forehead to see if he had fever and felt relief when I felt none. I poked him on his shoulder. He didn't even budge. I poked little more, he turned to his side towards me but still didn't wake up.

I patted his shoulder a little hard and said, "Wake up! You are going to be late."

Finally! 

He slowly opened his eyes, stared at me longer than I was comfortable with and jerked up, "What? Late?"

He snapped his head to look at the clock and went running from the bed to bathroom.

Huh. I was right. He was just tired.

I quickly packed him lunch knowing he was going to rush, placed his breakfast at table. He entered the kitchen buttoning the sleeve of his shirt.

He gobbled down his breakfast standing, took the lunchbox and sprinted to the car.

This was the first time I had even seen him this rumpled. It felt like Rahul was being late for his school. 

That's good, I realized, it made him more human. 

That's all for today. Please, comment and vote if you liked the chapter.