Shift. // Chapter One.

Mulai dari awal

Seeing the desperate look in his eyes, I stopped begging and did as I was told.

"Y/N." He whispered to me as we hid behind a fence. "Go to Anteiku. Tell Yoshimura about the men you saw when you get there, and he'll understand." He held me by my shoulders.

I looked up at him, tears forming in my eyes. "Daddy?" I said, my voice breaking. "Why won't you come with me?"

"I can't, Sweetheart. I wish I could, but I can't. Not right now, at least." He kissed the top of my head.

"But Daddy, I don't want to leave you behind. And what about Mama?" I sniffled, wiping my nose with my sleeve.

"Y/N. You need to go. Now. Please, for me." He looked at me with fear and hurt in his eyes. "I'll be right behind you. Trust me." He whispered quieter than before.

Something flashed over his eyes. Desperation. Whether that was for me to listen and go, or to avenge my mother, I didn't know. I still don't truly know.

My father never showed up to Anteiku that day.

The next day, I'd found out from Yoshimura that the two men had killed my mother and then executed my father afterwards.

This was done simply because my mother happened to be born a Ghoul and because my father fell victim to the heart.

From then on, Yoshimura took me in. I stayed above Anteiku and began to work in the Cafe after I started Highschool.

I met a human girl shortly after Yoshimura took me in. Her name was Kai Machida. She was a good person, someone who drew me in.

I didn't understand how a human could be capable of such a thing, but after spending the rest of my middle school years by her side, I realized. She was kindhearted and loving, but she wasn't afraid to push that all aside when someone she cared about was being hurt.

She'd been there for me after what happened to my parents and she stuck by me even after I'd healed from that pain.

She was truly my best friend, and I really couldn't have asked for more. The two of us had decided to go to the same Highschool as well, and then after we decided to go to the same college.

"Y/N!" Kai shouted at me.

I looked up and titled my head to the side. I laughed a bit and shook my head a little.

"Kai, shh." I placed my finger over my mouth in a hushing motion, unable to help the smile on my lips.

"Ack-! Sorry. Just... Get over here, you sexy beast!" She said with a giggle, obviously joking with the nickname. It was something each of us had done since middle school.

I rolled my eyes and did as told, sitting in my desk that was beside her.

"So, have you decided which college you're going to?" She asked me.

I nodded with a small smile.

"Kamii." I looked down at my hands as I picked at my nails a bit. "It's going to be a bit difficult, but if I work hard then I'm sure that I can make it." I said with a determined smile.