Compromised positions

Start from the beginning

Flying in a tight formation, the Slytherin team shot out of their tunnel at top speed. They looked like nothing but flashes of emerald across the sky, weaving in and out of the stands to make the crowds go wild. It wasn't unusual for the snakes to make a scene at the beginning of their matches, attempting to intimidate the other team, and so the Gryffindors were ready for their theatrics.

James blew out long breaths from where he stood on the grass, watching the Slytherins move so swiftly it seemed like the wind didn't even affect them - he was perhaps the only one of his team that felt jittery.

There were also rumours that Slytherin had appointed a new Seeker this year, one they'd kept very secretive about. People had tried to get a name out of the other team members to no avail, and all the Slytherins had made sure not to turn up to breakfast in their robes so that nothing was given away. The messy haired boy was sure they couldn't be any better than his Seeker, Amy North, for she was extremely talented and had a couple of years playing on the new Slytherin Seeker. At least, that's what he hoped as he paced in front of Madam Hooch restlessly.

Up in the air, Ellie and Sirius were mocking the Slytherins' flying formations in front of the Gryffindor stands and making their house roar with laughter. But in all their mocking, they didn't notice the snakes swooping round to fly right by them. Ellie had to swerve out of the way to dodge one of the Slytherin Beaters swing their bat at her, and Sirius ended up right in their flight path. They all sped passed him faster than he was sure any of the Gryffindor brooms could fly, ending up in their tail winds which sent him all off balance.

Though he probably would've almost fell off his broom anyway.

He was the first to catch a glimpse at the new Slytherin Seeker, and his heart nearly stopped. Right there, at the back of the snakes, swathed in emerald green robes and games face on, was Regulus. Regulus Black who'd always refused to join the Slytherin Quidditch team because the sport was Sirius' thing.

Without hesitation, the handsome boy was racing to the ground, jumping off his broom before he'd properly gotten to the floor. He didn't so much as stumble as he ran over to where James was, his messy haired friend waving his arms around in panic.

    "What are you doing?!" James screamed, "Get back in the air!"

    "It's Regulus." Sirius panted, wide-eyed in panic.

    "What's the bastard done?"

    "The new Seeker. It's Regulus."

James paled beyond sheet white.

    "Well, is he a good player?" He asked quickly.

    "I don't know!" Sirius shouted, "Do you think we were allowed to play Quidditch in that fucking hell hole?"

    "But could he be? What are his reactions like? His eyesight?"

    "I DON'T KNOW!"

    "Well, I mean, he's built like a Seeker. Good arms, probably light, his hair might get in his face though-"

    "Boys!" Madam Hooch interrupted their floundering, "It is your own fault if you aren't prepared. Now, Black, up in the air. Go on! You can't have your feet on the ground when we begin."

The boys shared a pointed look, before Sirius mounted his broom, noticing the Slytherin Captain coming down to join them. James clapped him on the shoulder nervously before he was able to get back into the air, looking no less calm than Sirius felt.

    "Don't let him shake you." James told him, though his words seemed very hypocritical, "He's probably done this out of spite."

    "Wait 'till Cubby finds out." Sirius sighed, "Good luck, mate. You're the best Captain we've seen in our whole time on the team. We'll smash it."