"Mia!" The book was quickly discarded as Evie's eyes landed on the owner of The Independence, the woman who had given Lorelai and Rory a home, and had been just as welcoming when Christopher first realised he wasn't quite fit to be a parent and left.

The Hayden girl crossed the space across the diner in a few short strides, instantly being hugged by the woman and enveloped in the familiar, classy floral scent of perfume that had hung in every room of the inn and surrounded most of her memories there.

"Oh, haven't you grown!" Mia pulled away, cupping the teenager's face in her hands. "And you're so beautiful! What is it in the water here that makes you three so beautiful!"

"I'm not too sure, but I don't think you need any." Forever charming, Evie smiled as Mia laughed at her reply. "And I'm working here." She finally replied to her question. "It's my Saturday shift."

"I can guess that, dear. I mean what are you doing here in Stars Hollow?" Mia asked. But there was a different question in her eyes - wondering if Christopher had abandoned her once again.

"I found out that me and pool houses don't get along, so I decided that I was going to take a break from California and return to my roots." Despite the topic at hand, the grin remained on Evie's face. It was much darker than she was letting on - much more than her not getting on with pool houses. "Can I get you some coffee.. donuts, pie, pastries?"

"Don't worry about that dear, Lucas here has already offered!" Mia turned to Luke with a smile and pulled a chair out from a nearby table. "No, take a seat, I'm sure he won't mind if your break is a little extended, right?"

"Of course not." Luke looked like he might want to say otherwise but he stepped away, catching Evie's eye. "And don't you dare, Lorelai has already been banned from saying it."

"Whatever you say, Lucas." Evie turned back to the table, glancing around. "So, Mia - where was it that you've been staying?"

"Santa Barbara." The owner replied. "It's horrible - I'm not surprised you've come back." She said to Evie. "Did you know the damn sun shines all the time out there?" That was directed to Lorelai and Rory.

"They've written songs about that." The older of the half sisters replied.

"Well no one told me that's how it was. Half of my wardrobe is obsolete." Mia looked disgusted, quite frankly, her nose wrinkling.

"Drag." Something sparked in Lorelai's mind. "Hey - you know that vintage blue coat-"

"You're not getting it." Mia replied. It was conversations like that where you could really see the connection between them, outside of the fact that Mia had taken in the mother-daughter duo in their hour of need, and how much they got along.

"Where's the damn coffee?" Evie turned around, looking back to see Luke fiddling with the toaster, Jess coming down the stairs. "I'll be right - I'm guessing you haven't changed how you like it?"

"Of course not. What would be the point in it?" Mia replied, watching as Evie got up out of her chair and retrieved four cups. "Luke - that's your nephew?" She called, just as Evie was turning around to retrieve the coffee pot, only to see Luke bringing it over.

"It's Liz's kid. Jess, this is Mia, the owner of the Independence Inn." Luke began pouring the coffee into Evie's mug as she sat down once again.