Deadly Holiday - Excerpt from First Chapter

Start from the beginning

That any little boy should have to testify against his father was wrong on many levels.  That he should have to do it this close to Christmas was dreadful.

Michael cleared his throat as he moved around the desk to sit next to Shawn Isaac.  "I want to start out by telling you how brave I think you are.  I know testifying today isn't going to be easy for you.  Do you have any questions?"

Shawn looked up at Michael, eyes wide with fear.  "Will my daddy be in the room?"

"Yes, Shawn.  He will be sitting at a long table with his attorney."

"Will he be able to hurt me?"

"No, Shawn.  I won't let him hurt you.  Neither will the judge nor the policemen in the room." 

Shawn sighed as he considered this.  "What about my mommy?  Will Daddy be able to hurt her?"

"No, Shawn," he said. The muscle at the side of his jaw tightened, but Michael fought to control the anger that filled him. His son, Michael Jr., was the same age. Shawn should have been able to count on his father to protect him, just as Michael Jr. depended on him.  In a perfect world, Shawn would not have experienced beatings at the hands of his father. And he would not have witnessed the abuse his mother suffered.  "Let's talk about when you testify."

"I'm scared." Shawn said, as he crossed his arms across his chest.

"I know, Shawn.  But you're braver than you think.  I know you can do this."  Michael squeezed the little boy's hand and continued.  "When you are in the witness chair, I will be asking you some questions."

"I know.  Detective Blake said I must tell the truth."

"He's right.  Tell the truth," said Michael.  "When I'm asking you questions, it will help if you only look at me.  Don't look around the room, and don't look at your dad."

Biting his lip, Shawn nodded.  "Yes, sir."

"Speak loudly enough so that you can be heard," Michael advised. "Don't worry.  I'll be standing close to you.  I'll be right there if you need me."

"Will the judge make my daddy stop hitting us so that we can be a family like Billy Collins has?  His mommy and daddy are nice to each other.  They kiss.  Sometimes they pull Billy into a big hug."

Michael's heart squeezed as he struggled for the right words to comfort the boy.  "Shawn, the judge will do all he can to change your dad's behavior.  But when it comes right down to it, your dad must decide to change."

A loud rap on the door let Michael know that Blake Stone had arrived to take Shawn to the courthouse, and wait with him until the boy testified.  Michael affectionately patted Shawn's back, then headed for the door.

<><><>

At her front door, Jennifer Brennan-Stone stood aside so her parents, Megan and Tim, could enter her house.  Their arms filled with Christmas presents, they headed for the living room where Jennifer and Blake's glittering, decorated tree stood before a wide window.

"Gonna snow tonight," predicted her dad.  Though he was sheriff, he prided himself on his accurate weather predictions.  "By the way, you're huge.  When did your doctor say the baby was due?"

"Thanks for pointing out my size, Dad," Jennifer said as she waddled to the sofa to sit down.  "If I get any bigger, I'll have to shop at the tent and awning store for clothes."

Megan sat on the sofa and picked up a soft throw to lay across her daughter's lap.  "Ignore your dad.  He's missing the filter that goes from his brain to his mouth."