"villains who abuse their family's power to persecute others must all be killed!" wei wuxian recited with a smile. wen chao seemed confused. "what did you say?" he asked, raising a brow. "i said; villains who abuse their family's power to persecute others must all be killed!" wei wuxian repeated, carefully, to make sure wen chao would understand. "not just that, after killing them, they should be beheaded and reviled to serve as a warning to future generations!" now even lan y/n was confused, yet those words seemed to be familiar to him. "was that clear enough?" wei wuxian asked, smile still on his face. but wen chao seemed to be even more confused.

"beheaded and reviled?" lan y/n asked, slowly walking over. he turned around after hearing a few yells coming from the wen disciples that tried to attack him. he swung his sword again, releasing a powerful slash of spiritual energy. the disciples were all thrown back, some of them even landing inside of the pool of water.

lan y/n rolled his eyes before he paused a few steps behind wen chao, chin resting on his finger as he looked down in deep thought. wen chao suddenly released a frustrated yell. pointing his sword at wei wuxian, he said, "how dare you say such outrageous words to me?!"

lan y/n suddenly snapped his fingers. "ah! i remember this one! i thought it sounded funny." he laughed. "it's from the book the wens gave us!" he said with a bright smile, holding up a finger. "if i remember correctly, it was the wen's great ancestor, wen chao, who said that!"

"ding, ding, ding!" wei wuxian laughed. he pointed both his index fingers at lan y/n who was smiling proudly. "that is correct, a-y/n!" he clapped boisterously. "here, you can even see for yourself!" he tossed a book at wen chao's feet, the same book that the wens gave to him.

the quintessence of the wen sect.

wen chao glared at the book tossed to his feet. to rub even more salt, lan y/n picked up the book, and opened it on the page where the said quote was written, in bold strokes.

holding back a laugh, lan y/n got closer to wen chao, showing him the book. "look who's the fool now." he giggled, a wide smile stretching across his lips. he pulled away, flipping through the pages as wei wuxian cleared his throat. "ehem, lan c/n!" he called, mimicking the voice of a teacher, presumably, lan qiren, as he mimed the same action of whenever lan qiren stroked his beard.

"yes, teacher!" lan y/n exclaimed, feigning seriousness as he raised a hand. "recite to us the punishment for insulting an ancestor of the qishan wen clan!"

"of course, teacher!" he saluted. he opened up the book and searched for the page. when he saw it, he smiled and let out a small, "aha!" he tossed his head to the side, looking at wen chao with his lips curled. his eyes almost seemed to be smiling as well. it was obvious he was enjoying this. he cleared his throat and began reciting, "if a wen dares to insult his ancestors, kill them without mercy, for they are not my family." he lowered the book, before he flipped it over.

shoving it to wen chao's chest, he smirked. "would you look at that." he gripped the handle of his stolen sword, in case wen chao snapped and would send even more people after him.

"very well then!" wei wuxian smiled brightly from where he stood before his smile darkened. "you can die now." at the sound of those words, lan y/n raised his sword and smiled. he attempted to cut down wen chao if it wasn't for wen zhuliu parrying the sword away with his aura-infused hand.

a fight started between wen zhuliu, who only had his martial arts to defend him, against the relentless swordsman, lan y/n. his form was similar to most gusu lan clan disciples, firm and elegant, except, he was more ferocious and unpredictable. his attacks never let up. quick and precise were his strikes, leaving no opening for wen zhuliu to land his own attack.