Chapter 1: Caretaker

The sound of a robotic voice echoed through an empty hallway, chiming, "Please enter your password."

     A man standing in front of the screen that now displayed a keypad swiped a hand through his blonde hair as he quickly entered a code. He glanced at the door the computer kept closed, the words "Laboratory Room 3A" that were on it now mundane.

     "Welcome back, Dr. Avery V. Richard," the device droned steadily.

     At the sound of the latch unlocking, Avery pushed open the white door. The room was dark save for small lights that were glowing from various machines like little eyes. It took a moment before the overhead lights turned on, their sensors catching his movements as he reached for his white lab coat. He glanced down at it and ran his thumb over the logo that was embroidered on its top left side. The blue, yellow, and red clover along with the word "Syntec" felt smooth under his touch. A nostalgic feeling washed over him. Even now the old logo reminded him of simpler times before his boss was pushed out of the company. Before she gained control of it...

     He shook his head as he slipped the coat on. No, that shouldn't matter, that Syntec was long gone now.

     Now all that remained of Syntec was the one that his boss had built, and nothing could possibly take it down.

     Avery walked over to the bench he had been using in his recent experiments. Once he reached it he pulled on disposable gloves, sitting down as he picked up a Petri dish that had been growing a culture of bacteria. He held it above his head against the light, squinting at the size of the culture in thought.

     He did not notice that he wasn't alone in the lab until a voice behind him asked, "Early today, are we Dr. Richard?"

     Avery jumped at this, almost dropping the dish, and turned around with startled eyes, gasping, "I told you not to do that, Daniel!"

     The other man smirked, his brown eyes glistening like a snake's as he said condescendingly, "It's not like I do it all the time."

     His co-worker gave him an exasperated sigh in response, turning back to look at the dish as he said, "I came in early to get a head start on my analysis."

     "May I ask why?"

     "Dr. Syphus wants it soon," Avery said as he gave Daniel a skeptical glance, "I thought everyone got his memo."

     The black-haired man gave him a confused look, dropping his arrogant manner as he echoed, "'Memo'? I didn't receive a memo..."

     This made Avery pause, and he turned to give Daniel a curious look, thinking, Interesting...

     He must have been staring at him for longer than he thought because Daniel huffed, "What?"

     Avery shook the look off his face, replying with, "Nothing," then he asked to change the subject, "how have you been doing with your assignment?"

     "Fine, although I wish we had newer equipment. I was in the prep room when you came in trying to get the damn incubator to work," he tsked and shook his head, "I guess this is what we get when Syphus can only afford another company's trash."

     "You know, talk like that could get you in trouble."

     "'Trouble'? With who? Him?"

     Avery nodded slowly, knowing exactly who he was referring to, as he responded, "Yes. He seems to be more active nowadays, so you best watch yourself if you want to keep your tongue."