The Falcon & The Winter Soldier: Chapter 05

Start from the beginning

"This is calm, no I don't have anything," she said exasperated, when she noticed his hand she says, "Hey I am not armed". "What do you want? We're just talking," Sam said pulling Vanessa behind him. "Give him your ID's so we can leave," Bucky said. "I ain't going to give him shit. We're not doing anything other than talking," Vanessa said. "Are they bothering you?" The officer asked Bucky. "No, they're not bothering me. Do you know who they are?" Bucky said. The second officer moves and whispers something in the man's ear and suddenly his whole demeanor changes, "Oh, God, I am so sorry, Mr. Wilson. I didn't recognize you without the goggles. I'm really, really sorry about this."

Then another police car arrives. "Guys, just wait here, okay? Just..." the officer says. "I didn't... I didn't tell anyone because he had already been through enough" Bucky takes the moment to tell Sam. "Mr. Barnes, there's a warrant out for your arrest" the officer suddenly says. "Look, the president pardoned him for all that" Sam argues. "Not for that. You missed your court-mandated therapy. It's like missing a check-in with your PO. I'm sorry, Mr. Barnes, you're under arrest" the officer said as he placed handcuffs on Bucky. Vanessa wondered just how stupid these officers were, did they not know that he could easily break out of those cuffs without any problem?

»»-------------¤-------------««

Sam and Vanessa made their way over to the police precinct to see what they could do about Bucky's situation. "Sam. I've heard. Lot about you. I'm Dr. Raynor. I'm James's therapist" said a woman. Sam quickly stood up and shook her hands "So nice to meet you. Thank you for getting him out." "That was not me," she told him. "Christina," yelled someone, "It's great to see you again." Vanessa turned and saw John Walker shaking hands with people, still in his suit. Did he never take that thing off? 

"You gotta be kidding me. You know him?" Sam asked. "Yeah, we did some field ops back in the day," said Dr. Raynor. "I heard you are working with Bucky, so I thought I'd step in. Bucky's not gonna be following a strict schedule any longer" Walker told her. "We haven't finished our work. Who authorized this?" Dr. Reynor asked. Walker only smiled and pointed to himself. Walker turned and saw Vanessa still sitting in one of the chairs, "Vanessa, was it? Lovely to see you again." Vanessa gave him a very forced smile.

Bucky then walked out escorted by two police officers. "He's too valuable of an asset to have tied up. Just do whatever you got to do with him, then send him off to me" Walker told Dr. Reynor, "Got some unfinished business, him and I. You too, Vanessa, Wilson. I'll be outside." "James, condition of your release, session now. You too, Sam. And you as well" she said pointing at Vanessa. "Nah I'm good Doc. I already got my therapist and having a session with somebody else would be a bit like betraying her. I can't do that, I'll wait right here" Vanessa said. "Now" ordered Dr. Reynor, "that wasn't a request."

Vanessa begrudgingly stood up and followed after Sam. Dr. Reynor lead them into an empty holding cell with two chairs, "It's cool, I'll just stand I guess" Vanessa said. "So... who would like to start?" Dr. Raynor said. "Alright, look, Dr. Raynor?" Sam asked clarifying, "I get it, why you want me to talk to Freaky Magoo over here. But I'm 100% fine." "It is my job to make sure that you're okay. And so, yeah, this may be slightly unprofessional, but it's the only way that I can see if you're getting over whatever's eating at you" Dr. Reynor said. 

"This is ridiculous," Sam said. "Yeah. I agree" Bucky said. "See? Making progress already. So who wants to go first?" She asked and when no one answered she continued, "No volunteers. Wow. How surprising. Okay. We're going to do an exercise it's something I use with couples when they are trying to figure out what kind of life they wanna build together. Are you familiar with the miracle question?"

Vanessa quietly laughed and nodded her head and Sam answered, "Absolutely not" at the same time that Bucky said, "Of course not." Vanessa had spent years in therapy talking about her drug abuse problem, the stupid miracle question had come up a couple of times.