Part 5

ALEX POV

 She was captivating my thoughts. I even dreamed about her sometimes. I imagined myself caressing her face gently, twirling her soft, hazelnut-colored hair and kissing her sun-pinked lips. She was intoxicating my mind. I might as well just go insane. It was already 10 a.m. I got up and staggered to my bedroom door. My room was completely dark. I pulled open the wooden door and bright light flooded in. I squinted as my eyes readjusted to the harsh light. I went to my bathroom and stared at my reflection. Shaggy, light orange hair came just above my ears, my light hazel eyes. I only slept in boxers, so my bare chest was exposed. My six-pack was noticeable, even to me. I hoped she noticed. I laughed at myself as I flexed in the mirror. I sighed and went downstairs.

"Hi, Alex." my mother greeted me with a warm hug.

"Hey, Mom." I hugged her back.

"Did you sleep well?"

"Yup."

"That's good."

"Yeah..." I said. She turned and went to pour me a bowl of cereal. She set it down in front of me and I gulped it down in a matter of minutes.

"Thanks, Mom," I smiled with a mouthful of cheerios. She laughed at my goofy face.

"I'm gonna go on a run. Later today, I mean," I said after swallowing my food.

"Good, Honey. Tell me when you're leaving and bring your phone."

"I can't bring my phone."

"Why?"

"No pockets."

"Oh..."

Silence.

"Well just tell me where you're going to go and when you plan to get back."

"Will do."

KYRA POV

Damn. I forgot to close the blinds. It was hot and I was covered in sweat from baking in the midday sun. I quickly shut them and I looked at the clock. It read 11:57. My stomach hissed angrily at me. I frowned. I got up and clumsily made my way to the stairs. I crept down the last few stairs so I wouldn't be caught by my mother and forced to do chores. I heard the sound of my mother's muffled movie player. She was passed out on the couch, snoring a little. I chuckled softly. I was in a hyper mood and I had a lot of energy. That nap put me in the mood to run again. I snuck past her and into the kitchen. I quickly scribbled note that read:

Ma- Going for a run. Be back around 1:30.

Love,

Kyra

I laid the pen down and went back upstairs to get ready.

ALEX POV

Going on a run had never felt so exhilarating. I didn't know why, but it felt really good. I went street after street. I breathed in the scent of freshly cut grass and something strangely familiar. It was some sort of perfume or deodorant. It smelled like... like... like Kyra. I shook the crazy thought out of my head and kept running. I saw a small-bodied person running about 100 feet ahead of me. She had her hair pulled back into a loose pony-tail and wore a pair of spandex and tie-dyed sports-bra. I sped up. She wouldn't make it through the light. Then, she picked up her pace and made the light. I was astonished. I knew I would have to wait this one out. She turned down the next street. I was anxious to find out if this girl was the girl.

"Hurry up light," I said aloud. A homeless man to my left stared at me funny.

"And I thought I was crazy. Talkin' to a damn traffic light," he muttered under his breath. The sign showed the little white "walk" person and I sprinted across. I turned where the girl had turned. She was far ahead now, just a little speck flitting around in the distance. I kept up my fast pace until I reached her.

"Kyra?"I said, breathless.

"Alex?!" she gasped, taken by surprise.

"I thought it was you," I panted, matching her pace. She smiled while my stomach did flips.

"Where were you this morning?" she asked calmly.

"At home sleeping."

"Oh..."

"What did you guys do?" I asked, just wanting to hear her voice.

"Well, if you really want to know, we did hills at the lake. Twelve sets to be exact," she laughed. It was the most beautiful sound in the whole entire world. I could have listened to it all day.

"It's a good thing I didn't go!"

"It's not fair! You need to come suffer with the rest of us bums! You're part of the team. Just take it like a man; I did," she laughed again.

"Maybe I will next time. For you."

IDIOT!! my mind screamed at me. She was blushing a deep red.

"Hanna still hates you, by the way," she said, changing subjects.

"Why?" I smiled.

"I dunno. All she says is that you're an ass."

"Well, that's ok, I don't care what she says. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of me."