a chuckle escaped nie huaisang, and he quickly covered his face with his fan. "he's right. lan y/n is a very demanding person after all." he chuckled.

but their momentary peace and lightheartedness was quickly cut off when qishan wen disciples began to surround them. "enough of all your useless blabbering!" wen chao drunkenly commanded from his seat. "and you!" he says, pointing towards wen zhuliu.

"capture lan c/n!" he orders, his finger now pointing towards lan y/n. wen zhuliu's feet seemed to be rooted in his place for a few moments before he reluctantly walked towards the smirking lan y/n. wen zhuliu reaches out a hand, trying to grab lan y/n, but instead, lan y/n swiftly grabs his outstretched hand in an iron grip. "no, actually," he says. "i think i'd rather be with these guys. you know, exercise my legs." he says. wen zhuliu tried to pull his hand away, but lan y/n's grip around his wrist was firm.

"i'll behave, i swear!" he says, mockingly saluting wen chao. the high seated wen growled at him as he gripped the cup in his hand, tight enough for the cup to shatter in his hand. "lan c/n..." he growled. the said lan only looked up at him with a face that looked as if he was daring him to speak further. his golden eyes twinkled red, something which wen chao saw, but only for a brief moment.

the second master scoffed.

another servant came to his side, providing him a new cup as they cleaned up the mess he created "whatever!" he arrogantly huffs. "but anyone else who challenges the wen's authority will definitely have it!" wen chao says to the crowd. lan y/n only rolled his eyes. he opened his mouth, about to say something, when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

he tossed his head backward, some of his hair falling on his face as he curiously looked at the hand, before his eyes slowly traced the arm it connected to. white robes, and cloud patterns on the shoulders...

a sweet smile stretched across lan y/n's lips. "er-ge!" he giggled, straightening himself so he could have a proper look at his older brother. wangji exhaled deeply through his nose as he gripped his younger brother's shoulder.

lan y/n's smile faltered as his brother was breathing slowly and deeply as if it was something he had a hard time doing. now getting worried, lan y/n takes hold of his brother's hand, gently. as if he weren't laughing like a psychopath earlier to scare off wen zhuliu. using both hands, he held wangji's trembling one as his brows knitted in worry. "er-ge... your leg." he gasped, looking down at his limping leg. wangji bit his lip, trying his hardest not to let the pain show through. "your neck..." wangji simply says, a pained look on his face as his fingers grazed the cold metal on lan y/n's neck.

"wen chao has the key. i... can't take it off." lan y/n replied with a disheartened expression. wangji tightens his hand into a fist. "don't... get into trouble." he mutters.

dejected, lan y/n nodded his head as wangji pulled his hand away so he could rest it against his leg. "er-ge, don't push yourself." lan y/n worriedly tells his brother as he supports his body. a qishan wen disciple came up to them, asking for their swords. wangji handed his sword, reluctantly, but he didn't say anything. the qishan wen disciple looked at lan y/n and motioned for him to give his sword as well. "you've already taken so much from us, which includes my sword. what will it take to satisfy your master's greed?" he asked, glaring at the wen disciple. "foolish dog." he spat.

the wen disciple rolled his eyes. but before he could retort, he froze up, feeling a chill run up his spine. lan wangji shot him a venomous glare from behind his younger brother.

the wen disciple huffed before walking away to collect more swords. wei wuxian looked back at the two brothers, worried at how they were faring. he saw wangji, who was strangely, not standing as upright as he usually was, and he even had a glare on his face, which he directed at the sword collectors. meanwhile, lan y/n was standing in front of him, shielding him from the gazes of the other disciples that were gathered there. his arm was around his older brother's shoulder and his face reflected concern. he looked up, and for a moment, the two's eyes met.