iii

c h a p t e r   t h r e e

"you take me anywhere near a cinema again, I'm gonna cut off your cock and feed it to you

"you take me anywhere near a cinema again, I'm gonna cut off your cock and feed it to you."

"I'm a trained nurse," Ada stated as she wrung out a wet cloth. John was standing in front of Arthur, trying to wipe the blood from his eyes.

"Don't make me laugh, it hurts my face," Arthur said.

"I bloody am!"

"You went to one first aid class in the church hall and got thrown out for giggling," John reminded his sister.

"Not before learning how to stop someone from choking," she quipped.

"I'm not choking," Arthur said, brows furrowed.

"You will be when I wrap this cloth round your neck," Ada growled at her older brother just as Tommy walked in with a bottle of rum in his hand. He quickly did a once over of the room, subconsciously keeping an eye out for a certain brunette, but Athena wasn't in sight.

He was at the Garrison when he heard of what happened to his brother and Athena, and he didn't waste anytime getting back home to see them.

"She's in the bathroom," Arthur groaned out, answering the question he knew was running through his brother's mind.

"Hasn't come out since she got here," Ada added.

Thomas nodded curtly before making a beeline towards the bathroom. The siblings followed him with their eyes until he had turned a corner and they couldn't see him anymore.

A lot of things had been different since everyone returned from France. One of the more drastic changes was the relationship between Thomas and Athena. Everyone had been used to the two of them effortlessly getting along and talking to one another, but over the last year Tommy and Athena had been extremely closed off-the latter even more so.

It was odd for the family to watch the visible strain between the two, even if it was never spoken about aloud. What was even more devastating, was that when the others looked at them, it was like they were two walking reminders of how much the war changed people. So similar to who they used to be years ago, yet so completely different. They were constantly treading the thin line in between.

A lingering fear among the Shelby family was that one day the line would eventually disappear and all traces of the people they used to be would be gone. That was the last thing they wished for, but none of them could come up with a solution for it. It was something that Tommy and Athena would need to figure out themselves-within themselves.