𝟎𝟎𝟖

Karina went back to her own bed just before the guard entered. Yelena had become quiet after Karina asked about the song she was singing, but it was a peaceful silence rather than an awkward one.

Karina knew it would be about a half-hour before the lights went out once the guard had left, so she would spend that time talking to the girl next to her who appeared to be lost in thought.

"I hate him." Karina said, jolting Yelena out of her daze. "I hate him, Yelena. Who thinks it's acceptable to kidnap children? Who?!" She went on, practically shouting in hushed tones. She rolled onto her side to face Yelena, but it was difficult with a handcuffed wrist.

She thought she wouldn't get a response from Yelena after a few minutes, but she was proven wrong when the blonde girl turned her head to face her. "I was six years old." She chuckled sarcastically and shook her head, as if she couldn't believe it herself. "My father came home and told us we had an hour to leave. I thought we were going on a trip, but I was completely wrong.

I clung to my sister, Natasha, as if she was my lifeline, knowing she would never let anyone hurt me. But we were sedated and separated, the next time I saw her, she was Dreykov's emotionless little toy." When she felt her eyes begin to burn from unshed tears, Yelena closed her eyes. "I'm all alone in here, and I have been for the past nine years."

Karina's heart ached for the girl in front of her, and all she wanted to do was comfort her. But, with one hand chained to the bed, she reached for Yelena with the other. Yelena met  her in the middle and grabbed her hand, which Karina squeezed as if to let her know she was there.

"You have me now," Karina said softly, aware that they were both alone there together.

"If Dreykov finds out, we're both dead," Yelena said solemnly, looking down at their linked hands. Her protest, however, was half-hearted because she knew it was what they both wanted.

"I'm willing to risk it, are you?" Karina had hoped silently that she would, and Yelena's small nod confirmed it. She had an idea of what Dreykov or any other member of the Red Room would do if they discovered their closeness, but if Yelena was willing to take the risk, she would as well.

Both Yelena and Karina hoped it meant more than friendship, but they were both too timid to ask. They both desired more, and as they looked at their joined hands, they both knew they could. They'd have the world to themselves if they got out of the Red Room, without Dreykov tearing them apart.

It was silent as they waited for the lights to go out, but neither moved, afraid to disturb the other's peace, so they just basked in silence until Karina broke it. "We should start a rebellion," she joked, attempting to lighten the mood.

But Yelena's reaction was not what she expected. "Don't say that," she said, her Russian accent thick, her voice afraid and sorrowful. She remembered one of the girls attempting to flee with a group of other Widows. Dreykov made Yelena and the other Widows stand by and watch as he tortured those who attempted to escape, as if he was sending a message. The thought of that happening to Karina made her feel sick.

So Yelena told Karina the story of what happened when someone tried to rebel and run away, and to say Karina was put off was an understatement. "I just don't want that happening to you. Or, uh, anyone." Yelena explained, trying to amend her mistake.

The light went out, and Yelena thanked the Gods for not allowing Karina to see her face flush and turn pink. Karina also counted her blessings as she, too, was smiling into the darkness.

"Shh! You're going to get us caught!"

"You're the one that just tripped! Aren't you supposed to be an elite spy or some shit?"

"I'm an elite spy in training."

Both girls had crept into the kitchen while cleaning, and Yelena had just tripped over a bucket. Each girl was given chores such as cleaning the toilets, cooking, and organising the training area. And it just so happened that Karina and Yelena were assigned the same task of cleaning toilets today.

It was Yelena's grand idea to sneak into the kitchens and steal some real, nutritious food. They were both fed up with eating the grey gunk at every meal. Fortunately, the Widows who were cleaning the kitchen had just finished their chores, so it was just them in the kitchen.

"Here, take this," Yelena said, throwing an apple at the other girl. The sight of the food caused their mouths to water and their eyes to light up like little children. "But we can't take too much or they'll know someone stole stuff," she added, pointing at Karina.

When they realised how stupid their plan was, they locked eyes and couldn't help giggling. They were truly acting their age when they pretended to be anywhere but trapped there.

"We have to leave, Lena. We've already been here for too long." Karina stated after they had finished their small portion of food. She pretended as if she hadn't just called Yelena a nickname and stood up to leave. Yelena, on the other hand, was secretly thrilled.

However, a door on the far side of the room opened, and Karina noticed a flash of red. 𝘚𝘩𝘪𝘵! Karina thought when she realised who it was - their favourite, whose name she still didn't know.

Karina's heart was pounding in her chest as the red head stood in front of them, terrified of what she might do to them. But Yelena appeared irritated, as if the assassin was of nuisance rather than a threat to her.

Yelena's gaze was unwavering as she looked at the girl in front of her.

"Natasha."

A/N I finally had time to write and upload a chapter :)