Calling In Unannounced

Start from the beginning

He held up a clenched fist, indicating he wanted absolute silence and for no one to move. Even Hercules stilled into a statuesque pose, waiting for his master. Harry probed the layers of magic that hummed around the manor house itself. After Hogwarts, it was easy now he knew how. He found the auras that lingered in the air. Of course, Draco's was dominant, and Narcissa's and Lucius's were easy to feel. He pushed those signs away, likewise the others that stood with him and the generations of Malfoys who'd lived at the Manor. He even felt Gladwyn Potter's magic amongst it all. He felt a shudder course through him as he recognised Tom Riddle's magic tainting the air and, also, Fenrir's, which was like a bad smell rather than a pattern or song of the others. The magic of other Death-Eaters lingered. But he felt the Carrows magic again, stronger than before. It was metallic and tasted off aniseed and made his lip curl. And he felt Minnie's magic too. It was weak and he hoped that was purely because she was surrounded by the shield the coven had conjured. The shield had that same quality that he'd felt in the garden at Beaumont, like material woven from spider's silk, strong and dangerous. It was magic he didn't understand fully, though he could feel it was woven through love.

'Ruby,' Harry summoned. 'Can you do a reconnoitre without being spotted?'

'Yes, Master Harry. I is going immediately.'

When Ruby returned, she confirmed that they were in what had been the large drawing room in the north side of the hall. The brother and sister were pacing the room, occasionally prodding at the invisible wall that surrounded Mistress Minerva, frustrated by its presence and occasionally trying to break it but failing. 'It is poking back at them,' said Ruby, almost smugly. 'Every time they is trying to reach her, the air is going golden and is pushing them away. I is also seeing the nasty brother trying to cast an Unforgiveable on the nice mistress but the wall is sending it straight back. He is writhing on the floor in much pain. He is screaming too. It is being much stronger than the spell that he is sending.'

'Stronger?' said Harry.

'About thirteen times stronger,' said Ruby, a smirk on her face.

'I see,' said Harry faintly. 'Well, that's good to know. Is he incapacitated?'

'Oh no, sir. I is believing he didn't cast a strong spell because he wasn't sure what would happen. Now men is knowing never to mess to witches' magic,' she added defiantly.

'Yes. Right. Are you listening, boys? No messing with the circle of magic around Minerva. We leave that to the formidable scary witches.'

'Sir, you is needing to know. There is more people in the Manor.'

'There are?'

'Yes. More nasty men with that Mark that poor Master Draco is forced to have unwillingly...'

'...more Death-Eaters?' said Harry, catching eyes with Draco at Ruby's bold defence of him.

'Yes, Master Harry. There is a man called Yaxley and someone called Rookwood, I is thinking.'

'Rookwood's there?'

Ginny actually growled at the mention of Rookwood.

'Yes, sir. They're in the conservatory. They is meant to be looking out but is drinking Butterbeer and getting drunk and talking big about being Death-Eaters again and trying to find Mr MacNair who is still in hiding.'

'So, they don't know MacNair was captured.'

'Clearly not, sir. And, also, that very bad werewolf is upstairs too.'

'Fenrir,' snarled Bill.

'Yes, Master Weasley. He is currently sleeping in Master Draco's old bed.'